2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

On 10/11/2024 at 10:14 PM, The Ronz said:

Possibly but also White Supremacy is a hell of a drug.

That in particular drives most of the Trumpers I know.

They are scared to death - actually physically afraid - of the "other."

I'm old enough to remember when casual racism was pretty much the norm in the whole country. My read is that what happened through the civil rights era is that most/much of white America realized that was a habit they needed/wanted to break, and when that happened, that casual public racism ended and the majority culture changed, but there was still a big minority who never accepted that culture change privately,  they just took it under ground because their views were no longer acceptable in public. Then 40 years of poor national economic management added enough people with economic disenfranchisement grievances to the racial dead enders that Trump has been been able to build nearly a majority by combining them but he's gone a step further in trying to consolidate that support by being first national figure we've had whose been just plain evil enough give the bigots validation to come back out into the open.

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm old enough to remember when casual racism was pretty much the norm in the whole country. My read is that what happened through the civil rights era is that most/much of white America realized that was a habit they needed/wanted to break, and when that happened, that casual public racism ended and the majority culture changed, but there was still a big minority who never accepted that culture change privately,  they just took it under ground because their views were no longer acceptable in public. Then 40 years of poor national economic management added enough people with economic disenfranchisement grievances to the racial dead enders that Trump has been been able to build nearly a majority by combining them but he's gone a step further in trying to consolidate that support by being first national figure we've had whose been just plain evil enough give the bigots validation to come back out into the open.

I grew up in a place where casual racism was the norm, as well as the belief that cities were 100% more dangerous than they really were. I didn't understand it then, and I understand it even less today. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Other polls I've seen shows Drumpf closing the gap, though. It appears that there are at least some 'skeptical' Republicans who are closing ranks, and just enough younger men who still see him as a 'successful businessman.' 

1 minute ago, LaceyLou said:

Other polls I've seen shows Drumpf closing the gap, though. It appears that there are at least some 'skeptical' Republicans who are closing ranks, and just enough younger men who still see him as a 'successful businessman.' 

I think at this point both sides are playing games with the polling. 

I'll tell you what my biggest complaint is though. It's when pollsters claim the margin of error on their political polls based on their sample size. Now it's absolutely mathematically valid, that if you draw an *unbiased* sample of size N from a population that the math does tell you exactly what the confidence interval for your result is. But when you are getting less than a 1% response rate on your contact attempts and/or augmenting them with internet surveys that are 100% self-selected, and then applying correction factors to balance your sample according to your *theory* of how your sample relates to the true population, at that point you have no more justification for claiming the unbiased sample confidence interval for your result than the man in the moon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think at this point both sides are playing games with the polling. 

I'll tell you what my biggest complaint is though. It's when pollsters claim the margin of error on their political polls based on their sample size. Now it's absolutely mathematically valid, that if you draw an *unbiased* sample of size N from a population that the math does tell you exactly what the confidence interval for your result is. But when you are getting less than a 1% response rate on your contact attempts and/or augmenting them with internet surveys that are 100% self-selected, and then applying correction factors to balance your sample according to your *theory* of how your sample relates to the true population, at that point you have no more justification for claiming the unbiased sample confidence interval for your result than the man in the moon.

True. Seems like something that belongs in the pet peeve thread, come to think of it.

I'm happy to see she is proposing legalizing Marijuana nationwide and removing it from the schedule 1 drug classification. This could actually provide a bump, albeit a very small one, to her campaign, as there are certain circles where marijuana and cannabis rights are very popular and an important issue.

Harris should accept the offer on the condition Trump takes the same test. Do it on live TV. PBS to host moderated by Judy Woodruff. 

Make it a 60 or 90 minute special, those tests don't take that long. I'd also throw in a few motor skills options, even a six minute walk test. A physician and psychologist selected by a private non partisan medical group. (Someone like the Mayo Clinic, Duke, or whomever). The candidates can be isolated in separate areas. Test one then the other.

I bet Trump would back out.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Harris should accept the offer on the condition Trump takes the same test. Do it on live TV. PBS to host moderated by Judy Woodruff. 

Make it a 60 or 90 minute special, those tests don't take that long. I'd also throw in a few motor skills options, even a six minute walk test. A physician and psychologist selected by a private non partisan medical group. (Someone like the Mayo Clinic, Duke, or whomever). The candidates can be isolated in separate areas. Test one then the other.

I bet Trump would back out.

He passes all the tests. If he gets something wrong it's because they worded the question wrong. A narcissist is never wrong.

6 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

He passes all the tests. If he gets something wrong it's because they worded the question wrong. A narcissist is never wrong.

I just want him to put his money where his mouth is for once.

Just remember he's always had someone bail him out of a jam. The guy has never accomplished anything on his own

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

SO, a lot of talk about the RW assassinating Trump so they can put their picked man in the WH via outraged militias and martial aka marshall law.

They don't have to, they already have what's left of his devolving intellect well under control (evidence his new found commitments to major administration roles for Elon etc.)

But if it this noise does get people a little more focused on what a bad outcome President Vance would be, all for the better.

22 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

With or without unnatural intervention I doubt Trump or Biden are going to be with us by the 2028 election.

In the age of famous people who have all the resources in the world living way into their 90s, I could see them both alive in 2028.

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

She has to bring a bigger Trump hammer to this interview than she's been wielding lately. I think she's losing ground because when she talks only about herself and her agenda, she's boring. She needs to mix that message with the message of how Trump is bad for America—not because of the real threat to democracy, which he is, but to ordinary Americans. For example, she needs to point out that he tried to kill the ACA something like 50 times, that his party wants to keep families from using IVF to help them have children, that his irresponsible actions during COVID cost hundreds of thousands of lives, that he will drive up the cost of everything with his Trump Tax, that he has said will send the military to fight our own citizens, that he has said he will indict business rivals to put them out of business—stuff like that. She cannot waste this opportunity to hoist him with his own petard.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

SO, a lot of talk about the RW assassinating Trump so they can put their picked man in the WH via outraged militias and martial aka marshall law.

I've read rumblings of a conspiracy to invoke the 25th amendment once he takes the oath. This coming from the Vance/Elon Right

16 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I've read rumblings of a conspiracy to invoke the 25th amendment once he takes the oath. This coming from the Vance/Elon Right

I wonder how this plays in MAGA land? It would sort of be the test of whether the appeal is the man or the movement.

Edited by gehringer_2