2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It’s not about the Trump voters. It’s about the jackasses in the middle who are “undecided”. Harris can bring them home by showing she’s willing to do the tough interviews. 

that's fair enough - I read your previous post to get to a different take. As I posted before, my only question in that risk/reward for Harris about Rogan would be whether his listeners are voters at all. 

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that's fair enough - I read your previous post to get to a different take. As I posted before, my only question in that risk/reward for Harris about Rogan would be whether his listeners are voters at all. 

He has the #1 podcast in the country avg 14.5 million listeners.

9 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

He has the #1 podcast in the country avg 14.5 million listeners.

doesn't answer the question really. 180 million Americans don't vote and a lot of them are plugged into their AirPods listening to something......

His audience just strikes me as a good fit for people who listen to be entertained but are detached. Just my impression but that's why I'd be interested in knowing, sadly I doubt anyone has ever added 'do you listen to Joe Rogan' to an election exit poll survey. 🙃

This election has reached the point where Never Trumpers like Rick Wilson channel  Beowulf 

And Charlie Sykes quotes Dante when refering  to Anti Trump Republicans who refuse to cross over

https://charliesykes.substack.com/p/america-needs-an-intervention-doesnt?r=2k4r8&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&triedRedirect=true

In Dante’s Inferno, the moral cowards are not granted admission to Hell; instead, they are consigned to the Vestibule, where they are doomed to follow a rushing banner that is blown about by the wind. When Dante asks his guide, Virgil, who they are, he explains:

This miserable way is taken by sorry souls of those who lived without disgrace and without praise.

They now commingle with the coward angels, the company of those who were not rebels nor faithful to their God, but stood apart.

They are destined to be forgotten. “The world will let no fame of theirs endure,” Virgil explains. “Let us not talk of them but look and pass.” 

Meanwhile Sir Donald is caught swaying to the music saying nothing for nearly 40 minutes.

These are the times when my 72 year old mind comes close to saying, Lord, take me now.

Edited by CMRivdogs
  • Like 1

LOL - needs the last bit the that link insertion cuts off:

Trump, once bold as Achilles on the field,
Now quakes like Hector, forced at last to yield.
His lofty hopes, like Icarus, take flight
Yet fall to earth before the close of night.
Mid pomp and cheers, the fatal slip is made,
His courage fled, his shame’s displayed.
For all now smell his foul and secret doom,
A shart, not fate, seals poor Trump’s tomb.

Edited by gehringer_2

37 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

doesn't answer the question really. 180 million Americans don't vote and a lot of them are plugged into their AirPods listening to something......

His audience just strikes me as a good fit for people who listen to be entertained but are detached. Just my impression but that's why I'd be interested in knowing, sadly I doubt anyone has ever added 'do you listen to Joe Rogan' to an election exit poll survey. 🙃

By no means a Rogan fan, but his audience is more diverse than you'd think.... a lot of people listen to him, even those who don't necessarily hold his views on or engage in conspiracies.

I do think in terms of persuasion though, this latest strategy (Fox and potentially Rogan) is an acknowledgment that partisans are locked in and that there are voters that can be earned on the margins. And that matters a lot in a race that both sides seem to think will be decided on the margins (along with ground game, which is important despite everyone saying "but 2016" when it's brought up)

It's not without risk, but I think it's a good thing and there's more to gain than lose by pursuing this. And it lines up a lot with what David Plouffe said while talking to the Pod Bros this weekend - there's potentially more upside with disaffected conservatives and independents than is being picked up both in public and internal polling. These are plays for that space.

Edited by mtutiger

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

starts out ranting about Detroit again.

he knows a 'guy' who 'builds auto plants.'

The man is a menace. Just a horrible liar who will lie about anything. He says he defeated ISIS in weeks....just a rambling liar who is so full of hate....

53 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

How much of Rogan's audience is MAGA, bro culture/affliction t-shirt guys/UFC fans, and anti-vax/conspiracy types? He's platformed several anti-vaxxers like Dr. Robert Malone and RFK Jr. and so I wonder if that's the core of his audience.

Most are all of the above.

33 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

In case anybody needed any evidence why his campaign is increasingly hiding Trump from tough interviews, this Bloomberg interview in Chicago is case in point

I was just so glad to learn that if I needed an auto plant all I needed to do was call Trump's guy - 'cause you never know when you just might be out of auto plants, you know - like you might run out of bronzer.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm beyond making any declarations about electoral politics because very little seems to matter or change this race.... but just as a practical matter, this guy is toast... and he's not going to get any better. Scary stuff.