2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

I'm beyond making any declarations about electoral politics because very little seems to matter or change this race.... but just as a practical matter, this guy is toast... and he's not going to get any better. Scary stuff.

Hundreds of WaPo readers skewered the paper in their responses to the front page story on the Philly rally. 

Like water off a duck's back. 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I remember when Biden did an hour long NATO press conference and gave a master class in foreign policy and all the media focused on was the one time he slipped and said Trump was his VP. 

it's beyond ironic that for Biden the mind is there though the body is failing while with Trump the mouth is still robust but the mind behind it is sclerotic.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

By no means a Rogan fan, but his audience is more diverse than you'd think.... a lot of people listen to him, even those who don't necessarily hold his views on or engage in conspiracies.

I do think in terms of persuasion though, this latest strategy (Fox and potentially Rogan) is an acknowledgment that partisans are locked in and that there are voters that can be earned on the margins. And that matters a lot in a race that both sides seem to think will be decided on the margins (along with ground game, which is important despite everyone saying "but 2016" when it's brought up)

It's not without risk, but I think it's a good thing and there's more to gain than lose by pursuing this. And it lines up a lot with what David Plouffe said while talking to the Pod Bros this weekend - there's potentially more upside with disaffected conservatives and independents than is being picked up both in public and internal polling. These are plays for that space.

I don't think she'll do it, but I could be wrong.  Like I said I think she's playing prevent now.   That said, I think you're right, there may be more benefit for her if she does Fox and Rogan.  Will Rogan have her though?  He has refused to have Trump in the past because he was afraid it could help Trump.  If he opens the door for Harris, he might be concerned that if he continues to snub Trump it'll actually help Trump with his victim mentality.  

If I were Harris, I'd only go on if Trump goes first, that way he doesn't back out.  I do not think Rogan would play softball for Harris, but I do think an interview with Trump would come off much more contentious.  

33 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Even if Harris wins, and I am getting more scared she won't,  its frightening and sad that about 46 or 47 percent of the people in our country are this dumb and this racist that they thing THIS is all okay.       And we're getting dumber every day. 

The thing that frightens me is that Harris wins 1/06/2021 may be a walk in the park compared to what we may see in January. If she looses, we get 4 more years of Trump and whatever hell Vance and the folks who wrote the Project 2025 book think up.

We may not have to worry about the 2026 anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. 

I saw this the other night. It scares the bejesus out of me

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26681810/

I wish some could talk me off the cliff

Edited by CMRivdogs

Trump was "sundowning" at that rally.

This is common among those afflicted with alzheimer's / dementia.

Music is used to soothe patients afflicted with those diseases.

My Grandmother had dementia for many years before passing away at nearly 101.

I am well familiar with what it looks like.

Trump is grossly unfit for office.

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

It’s not about the Trump voters. It’s about the jackasses in the middle who are “undecided”. Harris can bring them home by showing she’s willing to do the tough interviews. 

I think undecided might really mean: "undecided as to whether or not they are voting" which most likely includes more Harris voters than Trump voters.