2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Not buying this shy Trump voter anymore. If anything, there are shy Harris voters. Mostly women whose husbands are Trumpers and they don’t want them to know they are voting Harris. 

was going to make the same post - I don't see the trump voter as being reticent anymore either.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I think undecided might really mean: "undecided as to whether or not they are voting" which most likely includes more Harris voters than Trump voters.   

I think this is usually the case. There are 180 million non-voters and I think more of them have D tendencies than R, so in recent cycles getting as many of those people as possible to decide to show up is always the battle. But the voting habit is slowly getting better on the blue side as evidenced by turn out for Obama and Biden. And part of that is predictable because it's class related. The college educated and the old have always voted in higher percentages. Now starting from the new deal, the old tended to be democratic and the college educated Republican. As the FDR generation that were the 1st to receive SS and were completely loyal to the party of FDR died out, the old vote shifted GOP and for a while the GOP had the best of both, the old and college educated both trended GOP and both were more reliable voters than Democratic cohorts. But today's GOP has mostly lost the college educated vote. And as that group has gone democratic, democratic turnout reliability improves.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

My ballot has been submitted.  Straight Democrat even in some of the local races where I know little about the candidates.  

our school board is non-partisan and the financial and personnel management by the board has been a disaster so I had to really drill down on those. We also elect judges in MI, but at least half of them end up running unopposed. The Partisan ballot was pretty easy  - I can't even imagine voting for any GOP candidate until their party looks a lot different than it does today.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think undecided might really mean: "undecided as to whether or not they are voting" which most likely includes more Harris voters than Trump voters.   

Coincidentally enough - I just heard Steve Schmidt talking to a long time Dem pollster and his numbers really do have it reversed. Among those that have voted in all 4 of the last federal elections, Harris is at 55%. Among occasional voters, Trump is up by 5% (49-44 IIRC)

So they halted trading because the Trump stock was up +13% but then was down -6%, a 19 point differential? Is this what normally happens to stocks when they fluctuate like that? Because I seem to recall countless instances in which I saw a stock go down more than 20% in a day without something or someone stepping in to protect it. 

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So they halted trading because the Trump stock was up +13% but then was down -6%, a 19 point differential? Is this what normally happens to stocks when they fluctuate like that? Because I seem to recall countless instances in which I saw a stock go down more than 20% in a day without something or someone stepping in to protect it. 

Some shenanigans were likely suspected involving insiders.... again, dog bites man. 

15 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

The thing that frightens me is that Harris wins 1/06/2021 may be a walk in the park compared to what we may see in January. If she looses, we get 4 more years of Trump and whatever hell Vance and the folks who wrote the Project 2025 book think up.

We may not have to worry about the 2026 anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. 

I saw this the other night. It scares the bejesus out of me

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26681810/

I wish some could talk me off the cliff

I watched John Oliver from Sunday night. His long form story was about the 2024 election, and it profoundly bummed me out.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

our school board is non-partisan and the financial and personnel management by the board has been a disaster so I had to really drill down on those. We also elect judges in MI, but at least half of them end up running unopposed. The Partisan ballot was pretty easy  - I can't even imagine voting for any GOP candidate until their party looks a lot different than it does today.

I have always refused to vote for unopposed candidates. That’s not democracy. That’s autocracy. 

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Coincidentally enough - I just heard Steve Schmidt talking to a long time Dem pollster and his numbers really do have it reversed. Among those that have voted in all 4 of the last federal elections, Harris is at 55%. Among occasional voters, Trump is up by 5% (49-44 IIRC)

Thank you for using “coincidentally” correctly instead of “ironically” incorrectly.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Some shenanigans were likely suspected involving insiders.... again, dog bites man. 

I wonder whether DJT is basically a money laundering operation, anyway. I would imagine there’s a lot of foreign oligarch money flowing into it. Same as with his crypto scam. They’re not primarily about bilking retail investors, although that’s a nice little bonus.

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

To be replaced with red state non-union redhats?  "Whoopity Doo!"  [fires AR into the sky] "the South will rise again, boys!"

People who can assemble cars out of a box like a child can? They won’t care about it being characterized like that. They’re just happy to be off the dole or out of the mine or off the Walmart payroll.

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wonder whether DJT is basically a money laundering operation, anyway. I would imagine there’s a lot of foreign oligarch money flowing into it. Same as with his crypto scam. They’re not primarily about bilking retail investors, although that’s a nice little bonus.

always assumed it was. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

They don't.

I know many UAW members. Some retired - some still working.

They are all voting for Trump.

When Trump passes a National Right-to-Work (For Less) law and takes away prevailing wage that will be on them. When Trump appoints an anti-union head of the Department of Labor, like he tried to do with Andrew Pudner in 2017, that will be on them. When Trump's Supreme Court strips away the powers of the NLRB, that will be on them.