2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

36 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

My father is a retired Ford employee. He already voted for Harris. His former autoworker friends were Trumpers. Unfortunately COVID took out most of them. 

It's kind of a cruel thought, but I have wondered just how many Republican voters were lost due to the way they looked at Covid and didn't treat it with much level of seriousness. Many Republicans said it was just like the flu and many more refused to get vaccinated. I do wonder what, if any, role the higher mortality rate among Republicans will play in this election if things are decided on the margins.

43 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It's kind of a cruel thought, but I have wondered just how many Republican voters were lost due to the way they looked at Covid and didn't treat it with much level of seriousness. Many Republicans said it was just like the flu and many more refused to get vaccinated. I do wonder what, if any, role the higher mortality rate among Republicans will play in this election if things are decided on the margins.

You'd think that if there was a state where it might have had an effect, it would be FLA, but the effect may be drowned out by volatility in the Hispanic vote.

47 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I’ve thought about this too. COVID also affected older people far more in general. I don’t have any breakdown, but  I would think older voters would likely be more conservative. My 92 year old grandmother died of covid in late 2020. I’m not sure if she was voting near the end of her life (she’d had dementia for around a decade), but it would not have been for Biden if she did.  

Edited by Tigerbomb13

31 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I’ve thought about this too. COVID also affected older people far more in general. I don’t have any breakdown, but  I would think older voters would likely be more conservative. My 92 year old grandmother died of covid in late 2020. I’m not sure if she was voting near the end of her life (she’d had dementia for around a decade), but it would not have been for Biden if she did.  

And the other side of the same equation is that to the degree that Covid deaths occurred in older populations that like your GM had already dropped out of active voting, any political effect is proportionately reduced.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I think it’s suspect. Blocked this guy and the guy who shared it. 

Hard to know anymore. Last night my Twitter feed went totally bonkers. All RW trash, smut, and posts in Malay (I kid you not!). I muted about two hundred accounts and restarted several times and it finally started to straighten out but it's still pretty goofy.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Hard to know anymore. Last night my Twitter feed went totally bonkers. All RW trash, smut, and posts in Malay (I kid you not!). I muted about two hundred accounts and restarted several times and it finally started to straighten out but it's still pretty goofy.

I don’t even use the for you section. I just do the following feed. It was a trusted account that reposted it and I saw EPIC MRA which is a good poll. I didn’t even notice the David Duke Polling. Must be a pro Jill Stein account. 

44 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

His answers are getting weirder and less coherent. Not even close to a weave, not even a knit or ever a darn

at any rate, he's trying to argue for deflation, which is economic suicide for any economy. Again, either he is just ignorant, or pandering (of course, why not both?) doesn't much matter, but you see the appeal of someone who tells people what they want to hear when any responsible person has to tell them they can't have what they'd like. Obviously there is a limit to how much you can do that (as Jimmy Carter found out), but the leader's job is to be enough of an educator in the public sphere to make people understand what their real choices are vs adderall or dementia (or whatever) fueled political fantasy.

The irony is in less than 5 minutes you can explain to any lay person why deflation can easily turn into an economic crisis but it seem all candidates have so little faith in the electorate they'd rather finesse economic questions than spend the time - which in turn leaves things wide open for the idiots.. Bill Clinton was probably the last Pres we had who actually liked to lay out options and explain them.

Edited by gehringer_2

27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Well this one seems legit. 

That's probably not factoring in the recent episode of FEMA not being to help people because they had to go into hiding BECAUSE OF TRUMP.        I would imagine that's worth a point or two. 

But here's the thing about these Wishy-Washy Republicans who are saying their not voting for Trump but refusing to endorse Harris  (i'm looking at you, Mitt).    

Do you think that maybe the fact that Trump said he wants to turn the military on UNITED STATES CITIZENS he doesn't like might be enough for you to say "Enough, vote for Harris, at least she won't go after our own citizens"    Just absolutely ****ing ridiculous that it is not a bigger story.      And I thought Pat Buchanan was bad back in the 80s - he never said this.