2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Big if true...I also suspect that his Sundowning this week has hurt Trump at a critical time.

The Sundowning or maybe the desire to turn the U.S. Military on it's own citizens.............I'd imagine that would hurt him with a few people, although MAGA loves hearing that.     Until the  "and then they came for me and there was nobody to blah blah blah" thing.  

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

People relate to Trump eating McDonald's as dopy as that may sound. It's sort of "folksy" and non-elitest. Bill Clinton used to frequent McDonald's back in the day too and it was a relatable topic for him. He eats at McDonald's just like I do. 

Speaking as somebody who worked at McDonalds, I relate more to the person who actually drew a paycheck from them over the guy pandering for voters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I ended up watching it and agree - she wasn't even really asked about policy, at least in the context of policy that matters in polling (ie. economy, immigration, abortion), it seemed more like a quasi-Hannity style thing to create culture war chum for the base.

I don't know that it was a home run, but the people calling it a "disaster" don't realize that the interview wasn't really about them or their needs.... it was about the undecideds or the folks sitting on the fence. I think she did some work there.

Baier's aggressiveness is going to score her huge points with women. Men and all the male talking heads will watch and completely miss the significance in the subtext. Women will not.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Baier's aggressiveness is going to score her huge points with women. Men and all the male talking heads will watch and completely miss the significance in the subtext. Women will not.

Yep.  It would have been great to see a focus group of men/women to see their initial reactions.

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other thing is that she sat half a head shorter than Baier. This is not the first time I noticed this happening—she sat much shorter than Tim Walz and the journalist (I forget who) in the first joint interview they did together, and she also appeared much shorter in the chair than Colbert on his show.

I acknowledge the idea is roundly pooh-poohed here, but I believe the optics of that makes her look puny and weak, almost like a supplicant (as women culturally have been to men since time immemorial). I don’t understand why the campaign hasn’t quickly identify and fix this problem, but if she’s president and has a meeting with Putin, she had better not be seen sitting half a head shorter than he.

Well, it’s become as clear as can be that if you’re voting for Trump, you’re voting for the fascism, because once the dementia takes him out for good, all you’re going to be left with is the J.D. Vances and the Stephen Millers and the Michael Flynns and the Heritage Foundation, and none of those guys are any fun at rallies.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Well, it’s become as clear as can be that if you’re voting for Trump, you’re voting for the fascism, because once the dementia takes him out for good, all you’re going to be left with is the J.D. Vances and the Stephen Millers and the Michael Flynns and the Heritage Foundation, and none of those guys are any fun at rallies.

The way he starts out an event with some kind of mental cohesion and then sort of deconstructs before one's eyes a few minutes later is getting pretty striking.

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The Sundowning or maybe the desire to turn the U.S. Military on it's own citizens.............I'd imagine that would hurt him with a few people, although MAGA loves hearing that.     Until the  "and then they came for me and there was nobody to blah blah blah" thing.  

That quote is what people who think they're not going to be harmed because they're not in one of the 'target demographics' need to remember. One of the first groups of people wiped out in 1933 Germany was filled with people who helped Hitler get into power.