2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

23 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

TBF, people thought the same about me since I was much more left wing than most people I went to school with. 😉

The joke was not about his being right wing. It’s about the idea of a school-age child listening to Rush Limbaugh and reading Heritage Foundation tracts. Not typically topics of conversation among the kids. If you’d said you listened to Radio Havana and read Das Kapital for fun as a kid, I might have said the same thing about you! 😉 😁

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I can answer the question about the towel.

Extremely wealthy people are the ones who do this.

These same people are usually but not always extremely racist.

The towel is used to openly show their disdain for the "lesser" (not necessarily black or other - could be white but certainly "lesser") individual who may have sat in that spot previously.

Considering Trump allegedly replaced the toilets in the White House because Obama used them - him using a towel in this manner is the least surprising thing ever.

Edited by The Ronz

47 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The joke was not about his being right wing. It’s about the idea of a school-age child listening to Rush Limbaugh and reading Heritage Foundation tracts. Not typically topics of conversation among the kids. If you’d said you listened to Radio Havana and read Das Kapital for fun as a kid, I might have said the same thing about you! 😉 😁

OK, I'll admit I didn't read/listen to those... LOL. I did read books like Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee for fun, which people found strange.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm trying to parse through what the **** he's even saying here and apparently so is one of the hosts Ok, Lincoln was our greatest President. I get that but disagree, I think FDR was. After that I can't understand what ****ing point he's trying to make. This guy could be back in the White House and or we could elect Kamala. Let's hope we chose the latter.

He's like Chance The Gardner but if Chance was a greedy, shallow, racist, sexist, bloviating gasbag.     Just says **** and half the country thinks it's somehow deep.    The bar gets lower and lower and lower. 

Now get this, Honky,  You go tell Raphael that I ain't taking no jive from no Western Union messenger.  You tell that a-hole if he got somethin' to tell me to get his ass down here himself.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

As somebody with a family member going through dementia it was triggering when the right was flippantly playing the dementia card earlier this year, making jokes about it.

Same is true of the left right now.

I know I was the one who posted the towel thing and not sure if this is directed toward me specifically.... but there is nothing funny about it at all to me.

I just got back from Cobo to pick up my race stuff for Sundays half marathon. Trump is speaking there this evening and already his peeps were down there hanging around the expo. They were easy to spot. Dressed like clowns.  MAGA hats aside, the jeans with the flag down one leg, crazy buttons. One thing you never do is judge a runner by their looks or size.  They come in all varieties. But Trumps folks still stood out.  Think leathery faces with “meth mouth”.  

If anyone is interested there are a couple of big political events happening tonight. Governors Whitmer, Shapiro, and Evers are going to be at the Michigan Democratic Party office at 5pm in Ypsilanti tonight. Senator Elizabeth Warren is going to be at the MDP office in Belleville at 7pm if anyone is interested in going. Harris is in town in Detroit as well.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, oblong said:

I just got back from Cobo to pick up my race stuff for Sundays half marathon. Trump is speaking there this evening and already his peeps were down there hanging around the expo. They were easy to spot. Dressed like clowns.  MAGA hats aside, the jeans with the flag down one leg, crazy buttons. One thing you never do is judge a runner by their looks or size.  They come in all varieties. But Trumps folks still stood out.  Think leathery faces with “meth mouth”.  

They still do an international 1/2 marathon?  If I remember they stopped it during Covid.  I'm so stupid out of shape, but the thought of running over the ambassador has always intrigued me.

29 minutes ago, oblong said:

Summer teeth?

40 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

As somebody with a family member going through dementia it was triggering when the right was flippantly playing the dementia card earlier this year, making jokes about it.

Same is true of the left right now.

Good point. It also takes away focus from issues. 

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

They still do an international 1/2 marathon?  If I remember they stopped it during Covid.  I'm so stupid out of shape, but the thought of running over the ambassador has always intrigued me.

Yes. It resumed in 2023. That was the first time I did it. It’s very cool running across the bridge around sunrise. 

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

All I can say is if I can do it then I bet most anyone can. I was an athlete in HS. Played baseball and soccer and was decent.  But I hated running. As an adult I gained a few pounds a year and in my mid 30s found myself about 40 pounds overweight and out of shape.  My wife was a runner so I took it up a little bit. Did a few 5Ks.  Then I set a goal to do one under 28 minutes.  In 2019 I set a goal to run one race a month and did my first half marathon.  Just takes training and building up.  When I did a couch to 5K program in 2013 I thought I would have a heart attack after a quarter mile.  Each step you think you can’t do it but you do.  

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The polls look good. The right has been flooding the zone with polls like they did in 2022. 

The models that have Trump as a very slight favorite at the moment have partisan lean adjustments for polls an devalue low quality polls. Quinnipiac and Emerson College had Trump up in Wisconsin this week. Emerson had Trump up in Pennsylvania. Quinnipiac had Trump up 3.5 in Michigan. Quinnipiac had Trump up 6 in Georgia. I could keep going. It's not just right wing polls.

My theory is the misinformation on hurricanes is gaining traction, which is a little ****ed up if so.