2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

34 minutes ago, LaceyLou said:

I'm getting the opposite of unicorns, puppies and rainbows via email, from various fundraising sites. I haven't donated because I have no idea which, if any of them, are legit-also don't want even more emails than I'm already getting. 

Act Blue is the general Dem fundraising site. Pelosi runs the Congressional campaign office. If you have a particular congressional race in mind, go straight to the candidate's website.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This is clearly a bribe and clearly illegal. He cannot be allowed to get away with his and actually buy votes with dollars. 

meh - he buying signatures, not votes. If the Democratic voters of PA are on their game, they'll provide lots of signatures and scam the scammer. Sure it's a pain to be on one more mailing list, but winning Musk's money and then giving to the other side would be worth it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Just a reminder that Clinton only lost Florida by 1.

And then a **** load right wingers from blue states moved here in 2021-2022 to get away from COVID restrictions and Desantis increased his margin of victory from 0.4% in 2018 to 19% in 2022. And the standard caveats about using early voter party ID to extrapolate that you have routinely dismissed apply.

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

And then a **** load right wingers from blue states moved here in 2021-2022 to get away from COVID restrictions and Desantis increased his margin of victory from 0.4% in 2018 to 19% in 2022. And the standard caveats about using early voter party ID to extrapolate that you have routinely dismissed apply.

You seem to dismiss the fact that Florida canceled the party registration of about 1 million Democrats, so those NPA are likely majority Democrats. Harris is investing a lot in Florida. She wouldn't be doing that if it wasn't competitive. 

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

And then a **** load right wingers from blue states moved here in 2021-2022 to get away from COVID restrictions 

Not clear that many more people than normal went to FLA immediately post COVID. Population growth has been pretty steady. There was some variance around COVID  - it appears COVID kept kept some people in place that would have moved and then did move when things got back to 'normal', but it would be hard to argue overall movement into FLA was out of the ordinary in more than a minor way compared to pre-covid levels.

the number one state that people leave to go to FLA is apparently NY. That's probably true most years.

The interesting question is whether the middle boomer retirees going to FLA now are any more or less red than the early and pre-boomer retirees already there. My experience as a middle boomer would be that our older sibs were more conservative than we were, but that's one anecdotal take.

Also interesting that half a million fewer votes were cast in the governor's race in 22 compared to 18 and DeSantis pickup up another half million. Crist certainly underperformed.

image.png.5efb116d93a18917bc9f4dde36a8e6dc.png

https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/states/florida/population

Edited by gehringer_2

When I read poll discussions among the experts it reminds me of theological debates among preachers and other kinds of clergy and researchers.  They’re going on about something translated from a stone 3,000 years ago. Some have an agenda to pursue or a bias they are working from and others do not. But everyone is making some kind of subjective calculation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

When I read poll discussions among the experts it reminds me of theological debates among preachers and other kinds of clergy and researchers.  They’re going on about something translated from a stone 3,000 years ago. Some have an agenda to pursue or a bias they are working from and others do not. But everyone is making some kind of subjective calculation. 

Yup. Because there is currently no survey/sampling method available in the US that give a reasonable certainty of obtaining a random sample, pollsters have to make adjustments to their survey results to fit what they think they already 'know' about the population from past experience. However if there is change in the population with respect to those assumptions, the process of correlating the sample to the state of the population in the past guarantees that change actually seen will be assigned as sampling error and go undiagnosed. They can do a lot of massaging but in the end you can't completely correlate your way around this problem. In an environment were random sampling ranges from difficult to impossible, political polling is likely to work well as long as society is basically stable, but accuracy will be more a matter of luck if there are movements upsetting the established political alignments, which you only find out is true or not after the election.  The working assumption since at least 2016 is that the distribution of political opinion across varies markers in the population is tightly fixed. If that remains true, the polls will be accurate - at least those taken by honest pollsters. But if you suspect old assumptions may be breaking down, you won't be surprised to see the polls miss things by more then their supposed margins of error.

Edited by gehringer_2

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

One thing I can say, in my lifetime, and probably never in the history of the republic, has an ex-president thrown himself into a presidential campaign the way Obama has for Harris. He waited to the end to do it, but no question he's all in now.

He is still a powerful speaker too.  He hasn't lost much there.