2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

Just now, oblong said:

I saw a tweet last week speculating on the “silent Harris” voter.  Didn’t offer anything besides one example but I can see it. People just fed up with the nonsense. 

I think there is a silent Harris voter, and it’s republican women who don’t want to upset their husbands. 

• Like 2

I was up in Auburn this weekend and my wife was surprised to see so many Harris signs.  Definitely more Trump signs, but I don't think it's anything like before.  We took a long way home to enjoy our drive through the lower thumb back into Macomb county and it's very noticeable how many less Trump signs there are.  At minimum, I'm comfortable saying Trump isn't getting folks excited to vote for him.  I suspect like some of you, those silent Trump voters from 8 years ago are silent Harris voters now.

9 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I was up in Auburn this weekend and my wife was surprised to see so many Harris signs.  Definitely more Trump signs, but I don't think it's anything like before.  We took a long way home to enjoy our drive through the lower thumb back into Macomb county and it's very noticeable how many less Trump signs there are.  At minimum, I'm comfortable saying Trump isn't getting folks excited to vote for him.  I suspect like some of you, those silent Trump voters from 8 years ago are silent Harris voters now.

Completely anecdotal but Trump's rally in Detroit the other day at Cobo Hall was really not that well attended for a GOTV event at this stage of the game. You'd expect a packed house for a GOTV event. 

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know, I think a lot of people are going to find this charming. Not sure it gets him many votes, but I don’t think it’ll lose him any. 

I agree. As staged and as fake as we know and think this is, there will be voters that like it. Some in America are falling in love with a weak dictator masquerading as a strong man. They see this as Trump being just like them.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why does everyone act like anything Trump does is good? He looked like a clown. 

Because the media won't accurately cover this like the stunt it is. I was but a baby when the Michael Dukakis tank story broke. But it seems the media bought the Bush campaign narrative of Dukakis looking like a fool. Here you'll see headlines and stories saying Trump was at McDonald's pretending to work there but little about the whole thing being staged and fake.

6 hours ago, oblong said:

I saw a tweet last week speculating on the “silent Harris” voter.  Didn’t offer anything besides one example but I can see it. People just fed up with the nonsense. 

Man, I hope you're right, because the closer we get, the more uncertain I am.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I find it insulting to do someone's job for 15 minutes and say we're the same.

Screw the fry machine. Let him try some real work, something like the evening closing crew. Make it look real like have a high school football team show up ten minutes before closing. Then he and the rest of the "fast food workers don't deserve more than minimum wage" folks find out what real work is.

One type of voter I am worried about is right-wing mail-in voters.  Trump told them not to do that last time which probably explains a large portion of the mail-in advantage for Democrats.  How many right-wingers who didn't vote at all in 2020 will now vote by mail because Trump is not discouraging it this time?