2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why does everyone act like anything Trump does is good? He looked like a clown. 

He has never done anything good in his life.  

I can usually find something good to say about everybody even if it's something minor.  For Trump. I've got nothing.  

Edited by Tiger337

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

One type of voter I am worried about is right-wing mail-in voters.  Trump told them not to do that last time which probably explains a large portion of the mail-in advantage for Democrats.  How many right-wingers who didn't vote at all in 2020 will now vote by mail because Trump is not discouraging it this time?  

That worries me less in terms of turnout but it also makes me question any judgements people are making about early voting results.   But I think someone who figures out how to work the logistics of mail jn voting probably already was a regular voter so he’s not pulling in a net increase.  You have to go thru some hoops and I don’t see a non election day voter suddenly voting by mail.  It’s more convenient and takes care of last minute issues but I don’t think it’s easier if you are already registered. 

15 minutes ago, oblong said:

That worries me less in terms of turnout but it also makes me question any judgements people are making about early voting results.   But I think someone who figures out how to work the logistics of mail jn voting probably already was a regular voter so he’s not pulling in a net increase.  You have to go thru some hoops and I don’t see a non election day voter suddenly voting by mail.  It’s more convenient and takes care of last minute issues but I don’t think it’s easier if you are already registered. 

I don't actually know if this is just an Ann Arbor city clerk thing or county wide or what, but as long as I use my absentee ballot, I'm going to get one automatically for whatever the next election is. That likely won't make a huge difference in a presidential year, but it seems to me it could potentially make a large difference in off-year and primary turnouts if that ballot just shows up for an election a person might have otherwise not given a lot of though to voting in. 

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't actually know if this is just an Ann Arbor city clerk thing or county wide or what, but as long as I use my absentee ballot, I'm going to get one automatically for whatever the next election is. That likely won't make a huge difference in a presidential year, but it seems to me it could potentially make a large difference in off-year and primary turnouts if that ballot just shows up for an election a person might have otherwise not given a lot of though to voting in. 

I don’t remember if how we voted in ‘20 was absentee. We put it in a drop box. I didn’t get anything sent to me.  We do early voting in our city now so that’s what it will be for me. I’m already in that building 4 tomes a week anyway. That way I can save my electikn day off not worrying about voting.  I know I should do a civic duty and work the polls since my company gives me a day off and everyone I see there is 90. $100 can’t hurt.  

All cities and townships in Michigan have what's called the Permanent Absentee Voter List that you as a voter can sign up for. If you check a box on your absentee ballot application form (not the ballot itself, just the application form) to be enrolled in the Permanent AV List then your local clerk's office will just mail you out the ballot for each and every election. That saves you from having to request your absentee ballot each and every time there is an election.

So to make it easy for yourself and everyone in your house, simply check the box on your absentee ballot request form next time that says you want to be enrolled on the Permanent AV List.

2024-AV-Application-SAMPLE-boxes-1187x1536.jpg

• Like 1