2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Can’t believe I forgot him. I notice a lot of these rappers are from the 90’s and have nostalgia for Trump as the wealthy flamboyant playboy. 

yeah that's it.  They see him as "gangsta".  Like Kwame.  Interesting combo when you consider all the racists who bash their art as 'not real music'.

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

yeah that's it.  They see him as "gangsta".  Like Kwame.  Interesting combo when you consider all the racists who bash their art as 'not real music'.

I think it's simpler than that. They make a lot of money and they don't want to pay higher marginal tax rates anymore than investment bankers with money do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you have a free read left this month at the NYT, listen to or read the transcript of Ezra Kleins post today. It's the most , accurate, clear eyed analysis or DJT I have yet seen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/22/opinion/donald-trump-ezra-klein-podcast.html

Terrifying. Do people want to live in Russia or North Korea? People need to look at those countries for examples of what control is. They think control means "them", someone else but that's not true.

Had a brief chat wit one of my sisters today. During the conversation she asked how I was voting, she's a two time Trump voter but just can't vote that way this time (says he's too crazy), she's on the fence about Harris. At the same time she doesn't want to vote third party or write in someone.

I usually don't give family voting advice but told her that we'd get 4 years of what we had from Trump or worse if he's elected with a Republican Congress. Harris could facing the same mixed opposition (stalemate) so the Democratic things you might oppose may not pass. But it won't be the crazy guy in the White House. I also told her to look at the number of truly conservative Republicans and former members of his last administration who now support Harris. It wasn't a long conversation but I feel like I've got her thinking

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'll believe TX is going to flip blue when it happens. Cruz is vulnerable though. He's so damn unlikeable.

You can’t just sit around and wait for it to happen. Polls aren’t picking up the people who have moved into Texas who are majority Democrats. Keep in mind, Harris was in Houston earlier in the campaign for some low key events. They know what’s up there. 

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'll believe TX is going to flip blue when it happens. Cruz is vulnerable though. He's so damn unlikeable.

I'll be surprised if Harris wins there to be sure. That said.... if her campaign's efforts help turn out more voters I think that makes it at least possible, and as you said, only hurts Cruz.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think it's simpler than that. They make a lot of money and they don't want to pay higher marginal tax rates anymore than investment bankers with money do. 

It would not shock me to learn that the rappers are also getting paid under the table to publicly endorse Trump. Or is it more likely that they're doing so for free?

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

You can’t just sit around and wait for it to happen. Polls aren’t picking up the people who have moved into Texas who are majority Democrats. Keep in mind, Harris was in Houston earlier in the campaign for some low key events. They know what’s up there. 

I mean, I'm nothing but a vote in an important state and I did my part. Harris definitely shouldn't sit around though, I agree with you there. I think she's doing the right thing by going into Texas and campaigning. Georgia didn't flip on its own, or overnight. The six battlegrounds are obviously important, but if you flip one Texas, it's effectively game over. You're only four electoral votes away at that point. Pick just one of the six. And candidly, if you flip Texas, you're probably winning all six anyway.

From the 5000-foot view where I sit though, I'm skeptical it will flip quite yet. I'm also skeptical of the electoral integrity of the Texas infrastructure if it's close.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I mean, I'm nothing but a vote in an important state and I did my part. Harris definitely shouldn't sit around though, I agree with you there. I think she's doing the right thing by going into Texas and campaigning. Georgia didn't flip on its own, or overnight. The six battlegrounds are obviously important, but if you flip one Texas, it's effectively game over. You're only four electoral votes away at that point. Pick just one of the six. And candidly, if you flip Texas, you're probably winning all six anyway.

From the 5000-foot view where I sit though, I'm skeptical it will flip quite yet. I'm also skeptical of the electoral integrity of the Texas infrastructure if it's close.

Texas is a lot like Georgia was in 2020. Keep in mind, Hillary spent time in states like Georgia and Arizona to much criticism that ended up flipping the next election. You have to lay the groundwork in Texas now. When the 2030 census comes around, Texas is going to pick up a lot of electoral votes and big blue states like California, Illinois and New York stand to lose. You can’t wait until then to try. Biden got the margin down to 5. It was 9 with Clinton. It’s moving in the right direction. If Harris even gets it down to 2-3, it will be a swing state in 2028. 

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you have a free read left this month at the NYT, listen to or read the transcript of Ezra Kleins post today. It's the most , accurate, clear eyed analysis or DJT I have yet seen.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/22/opinion/donald-trump-ezra-klein-podcast.html

That was indeed good. I listened this morning.

Which brings me to this tangential point. The NYTimes Audio paywall has not seemed to hit Pocketcasts yet.