2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I got on a tangent, but there seems to be a lot of talk that Whitmer is a likely frontrunner should Biden not run.  She is going to have some issues she can get hit on.  I personally would prefer her over most democrats I can think off, but she has flaws.....like being party to the death of Brian Woodward.

Thanks for the explanation, I hadn't read up on the entire thread. 

Whitmer signed a bill that had bipartisan support after threatening to veto other versions being pushed by Republicans.  If this is the best attack they have against her, she's got no problems at all.  

If I didn't know better I'd think you hit on her and she turned you down.  It comes across as obsessive.

I love her as governor and hope she runs for Senate.  She and some of our other prominent female leaders in this state are models of how the country would be better run by women.  I firmly believe that.

I don't know if her background would pass inspection from a national search.  I have no inside dope or anything but there might be some skeletons best left hidden.  Who knows...just a hunch I have.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Everybody has skeletons and if you don't have any your opponent will make some up.  Some people are able to get away with stuff more than others.  

I'm waiting for Republicans to start accusing Joe of buying the gun for Hunter.   

35 minutes ago, oblong said:

If I didn't know better I'd think you hit on her and she turned you down.  It comes across as obsessive.

I love her as governor and hope she runs for Senate.  She and some of our other prominent female leaders in this state are models of how the country would be better run by women.  I firmly believe that.

I don't know if her background would pass inspection from a national search.  I have no inside dope or anything but there might be some skeletons best left hidden.  Who knows...just a hunch I have.

Well, she is a Sparty female.  

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

She never would have turned me down, because I never would have thought I had a chance and bothered to ask her out anyway.

She's been ok as a governor and you are right about other prominent female leaders in this state, there are several that I feel have major potential...I hope you're not including Nessel in that category though.

I personally don't get the lovefest for Whitmer though.  The only 'win' she got in her first term was the car insurance reform which put us from 50th highest insurance average in the nation all the way down to 46th highest.  It also cost Brian Woodward his life and many others to have diminished care for a few years, but I guess we want to still label that a win for Whitmer, i'll give it to you.  

Covid money is getting the roads done and i'm hesitant to bash her on Covid, but the excuses this site has used to prop her up as one of the great Covid response governors has contributed to my perplexed view on her lovefest.  

I voted for her for the same reason I voted for Biden, I was content going back to the way politics were done pre-Trump. 

That said, I want better than that.   Is she smart for using the lack of government transparency against the previous administration yet fully utilize that lack of transparency once she gets into power?  Of course.  Is she smart for doing the national media circuit, but for the most part refusing to speak with local media?  Of course.  Is she smart for recognizing when she can't ignore an issue any longer and working directly with MIRS to get her story, the way she wants it covered out, like a plane trip, which she may or may not have paid for, even though if she paid for it, that means the plane operator acted illegally since they are not a charter?  Of course

I realize even with my criticism, she's better than 99% of other politicians, and hence why i'd vote for her over pretty much any GOP candidate I can think of.  Still, I guess I just want better.

On 9/8/2023 at 1:04 PM, MIguy said:

Thanks for the explanation, I hadn't read up on the entire thread. 

Whitmer signed a bill that had bipartisan support after threatening to veto other versions being pushed by Republicans.  If this is the best attack they have against her, she's got no problems at all.  

The attack against Whitmer, at least in a Democratic primary, is that she bought in hook, line, and sinker to Republican, supply side, trickle down economics. Whitmer is a big believer in the trickle down theory of giving corporations big handouts in exchange for job growth. She's given over $3.7 billion in corporate welfare handouts through the state's SOAR (Strategic Outreach and Attraction Reserve) corporate welfare slushfund. She gave Ford Motor Company over $200 million I believe for their new battery plant in Marshall, MI. She gave tens-of-millions to a Swedish-based paper mill in the UP to save a couple hundred jobs at the cost of over $250,000/job.

She's also refused to support a graduated income tax as Governor and taxing the wealthy. If I were a Democratic candidate I think the hit on Whitmer is economically speaking, she's governed like a corporate-supporting Governor with the use of trickle down economics through the state's SOAR corporate welfare slush fund. 

19 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

They've been voting against their interests  for decades

Rural America is filled with people living in trailers and run down shacks collecting welfare, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI and anything else they can get their hands on.  Almost every one of them votes Republican.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

Rural America is filled with people living in trailers and run down shacks collecting welfare, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI and anything else they can get their hands on.  Almost every one of them votes Republican.  

Because they are programmed and to think Mexicans and Ukraine  gets all the money.  

1 hour ago, MIguy said:

I don't think it's an accident either. The society preaches cowboy individualism and to admit your dependency, even to yourself, is to admit to failure or resentment over your need. So you intellectually dissociate/compartmentalize your lived reality from your fantasy politics and you preserve that ego myth that's ingrained in your psyche.

Edited by gehringer_2