2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Terrible indeed, and really has me questioning whether he should reconsider his decision to run (although I doubt he will).

The only thing I would add is that while this is another piece of evidence for a certain type of pundit (ie. Bill Kristol, Mike Murphy, etc.), all of these folks also think Harris is a bad choice as well and apparently desire an open primary process. Which would be, to put it mildly, a ****ing disaster.

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Terrible indeed, and really has me questioning whether he should reconsider his decision to run (although I doubt he will).

The only thing I would add is that while this is another piece of evidence for a certain type of pundit (ie. Bill Kristol, Mike Murphy, etc.), all of these folks also think Harris is a bad choice as well and apparently desire an open primary process. Which would be, to put it mildly, a ****ing disaster.

This scares the hell out of me.   I mean the Democrats DESTROYED the Republicans in Michigan in 2022.    I just can't believe this ****.  

I mean, if he wins, democracy's done.    I think Biden's doing a really good job too, but he's not shouting about it.  Is that was this country has come to - you have to shout it?   

Polls a year away from an election are irrelevant.  People who aren't happy with the way things are going right now might give a knee jerk reaction and claim they'd vote for Trump but when it comes time to actually do so, they're going to realize how stupid that would be.  

27 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This scares the hell out of me.   I mean the Democrats DESTROYED the Republicans in Michigan in 2022.    I just can't believe this ****.  

I mean, if he wins, democracy's done.    I think Biden's doing a really good job too, but he's not shouting about it.  Is that was this country has come to - you have to shout it?   

Americans are very vulnerable to marketing and BS and that is Trump's only skill.  

Just now, MIguy said:

Polls a year away from an election are irrelevant.  People who aren't happy with the way things are going right now might give a knee jerk reaction and claim they'd vote for Trump but when it comes time to actually do so, they're going to realize how stupid that would be.  

I agree polls one year away don't mean much, but I don't think people will ever realize how stupid they are for falling for Trump.  Don't underestimate the stupidity of the people.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree polls one year away don't mean much, but I don't think people will ever realize how stupid they are for falling for Trump.  Don't underestimate the stupidity of the people.   

or the racism.     Won't help me sleep tonight.   I need to start figuring out how to move to Ireland sooner than I planned.  

I do wish that Biden would have decided not to run again.  Between his age, his troublesome son, his constant gaffes, and lets not forget about the classified documents investigation that's still out there, almost any other high profile democrat would be in a better position for the 2024 election.

8 minutes ago, MIguy said:

I do wish that Biden would have decided not to run again.  Between his age, his troublesome son, his constant gaffes, and lets not forget about the classified documents investigation that's still out there, almost any other high profile democrat would be in a better position for the 2024 election.

You think Kamala would be better? I’m not sure. 🤔 

8 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Pete Buttigieg

or

Gavin Newsome

or

Lots of other possibilities as well...

Have some imagination guys...

Setting aside the disaster that an open primary process would be (again, people are underestimating the fallout of bypassing Harris, particularly with AA voters), I have never understood why people think Gavin Newsom would be a good candidate for President.

9 hours ago, MIguy said:

Theoretically, yes, probably. In practice, a bloody protracted primary fight would end up being no better than the status quo.

A Biden-Trump rematch next year would be a complete disaster. Neither of the two should be in Washington. I’ve made it clear to friends that I will write in someone’s name before I would vote for either if they’re on the ticket. 
Kamala Harris should scare the piss out of anyone. She’s accomplished nothing and the party does its best to keep her out of sight. 
As a fiscal conservative, I can say that our out of control debt and spending are creating a lot of unhappy voters.  Additionally, uncontrolled borders are inexcusable. These are the two top domestic issues that are going to cost him moderate votes if nothing changes.
The GOP doesn’t have anything I’m excited about either-a sign of the times I guess.

Edited by 1776

what's bonkers is that Biden has had so many wins, and bi-partisan wins. People claim that is what they want - someone who can reach across the aisle and get things done. at worst, he is an average president, and considering a vile, life-long grifter is the other choice, incomprehensible to me that Biden is not lapping the field. I don't know how to have Biden get more credit for what he's done.

I remain hopeful that when it comes down to this: an uninspired choice vs. the worst possible choice - Biden will win that binary decision easily; but frankly, its 50/50 right now, and that says a lot about the future of the country, and it is not looking good

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 1776 said:

A Biden-Trump rematch next year would be a complete disaster. Neither of the two should be in Washington. I’ve made it clear to friends that I will write in someone’s name before I would vote for either if they’re on the ticket. 
Kamala Harris should scare the piss out of anyone. She’s accomplished nothing and the party does its best to keep her out of sight. 
As a fiscal conservative, I can say that our out of control debt and spending are creating a lot of unhappy voters.  Additionally, uncontrolled borders are inexcusable. These are the two top domestic issues that are going to cost him moderate votes if nothing changes.
The GOP doesn’t have anything I’m excited about either-a sign of the times I guess.

A 3rd party vote is a vote for Trump.

FYI.

44 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I think Biden knows he has to do something about the border.  Nobody is ever going to do anything about the debt because that requires denying people stuff and no side is going to do that.  You can't win votes if you don't promise stuff.  

Edited by Tiger337

8 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

what's bonkers is that Biden has had so many wins, and bi-partisan wins. People claim that is what they want - someone who can reach across the aisle and get things done. at worst, he is an average president, and considering a vile, life-long grifter is the other choice, incomprehensible to me that Biden is not lapping the field. I don't know how to have Biden get more credit for what he's done.

I remain hopeful that when it comes down to this: an uninspired choice vs. the worst possible choice - Biden will win that binary decision easily; but frankly, its 50/50 right now, and that says a lot about the future of the country, and it is not looking good

I think what it REALLY says, and this is just my opinion... is that the opinion polls are a year too early. By September of next year Trump will be sinking like a rock as most Americans come to their senses and decide they want Democracy after all rather than the violent fascist dictatorship that ****wad Trump and his scumbag MAGA MF'ers keep promising us.