2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

49 minutes ago, pfife said:

This is bad.  He literally says Tiny D won't be investigated b/c he dropped out.

He is threatening oppo.  He has the resources of the KGB (FSB) and the National Enquirer and the Russian mafia at his disposal so there is that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

He is threatening oppo.  He has the resources of the KGB (FSB) and the National Enquirer and the Russian mafia at his disposal so there is that. 

I've always wondered if Larry Flynt were still alive would he have had an impact on the rise of Trump and the evangelicals that caved in to him.  I think he would have been able to stop it early before it grew from just a pod into a solid root and tree.

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

I've always wondered if Larry Flynt were still alive would he have had an impact on the rise of Trump and the evangelicals that caved in to him.  I think he would have been able to stop it early before it grew from just a pod into a solid root and tree.

I dunno about Flynt's ties to or against the world of sleeze that Trump seemed pretty comfortable in.   

He would have had dirt on Falwell Jr and that lot and also the Stormy stuff.... the Enquirer shut that down and emgargoed it.   I think if that gets out early enough in 2015/2016 it might have stopped him.  Of course everybody in the GOP was saying the right things about Trump at the time but the voters didn't care so maybe not.

"New Hampshire Republicans" sounds pretty explicit to me.

The other thing that popped out was a poll on Trump versus Haley voters last night.

Trump Voters: How many of you would refuse to vote for the other candidate if they were the nominee? 77%

Haley Voters: How many of you would refuse to vote for the other candidate if they were the nominee? 88%

That tells me:

Trump's voters are pretty locked in.

And...

Haley's voters, which in NH would be Never-Trumpers, Establishment Republicans, along with a huge smattering of Independents, and I am guessing Indy's both who lean right and who lean left... are ALSO locked in... against Trump.

The two sides of the current state of Republicans are hardening their positions (Pro and Anti-Trump... or Pro/Anti-MAGA).

That was the most heartening thing I saw last night.

20 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

"New Hampshire Republicans" sounds pretty explicit to me.

The other thing that popped out was a poll on Trump versus Haley voters last night.

Trump Voters: How many of you would refuse to vote for the other candidate if they were the nominee? 77%

Haley Voters: How many of you would refuse to vote for the other candidate if they were the nominee? 88%

That tells me:

Trump's voters are pretty locked in.

And...

Haley's voters, which in NH would be Never-Trumpers, Establishment Republicans, along with a huge smattering of Independents, and I am guessing Indy's both who lean right and who lean left... are ALSO locked in... against Trump.

The two sides of the current state of Republicans are hardening their positions (Pro and Anti-Trump... or Pro/Anti-MAGA).

That was the most heartening thing I saw last night.

Interesting. You can make a case that Hillary lost in 2016 exactly because non-Hillary primary dems didn't come out for her in sufficient numbers in the general. If Trump doesn't hold the non-proTrump repubs as well as he did in 2016 or even 2020 he is almost certainly toast. 

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Interesting. You can make a case that Hillary lost in 2016 exactly because non-Hillary primary dems didn't come out for her in sufficient numbers in the general. If Trump doesn't hold the non-proTrump repubs as well as he did in 2016 or even 2020 he is almost certainly toast. 

All that will be left at that point is the armed insurrection.  

I think this may have been mentioned already but I would note again that the final pre-election polls were running Trump +18-20% and more - many at nearly 30%, while his actual margin was 11%. A 7-9% miss in a population as small as NH is a very poor result, which goes to my contention that traditional political polling is becoming progressively more useless. Sample self-selection in the cell phone era is a hard problem. When you have the Grey Lady's (NYT) etiquette column now telling people that answering live phone calls should *never* be more than 2nd priority to what you are doing and that even voice mail is passe, rather than the previous 100 yrs of "excuse me I *have* to answer the phone - it might be important!" there is no way for pollsters to put the toothpaste back in the tube in terms of obtaining samples.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Jon Stewart coming back to host the Daily Show on Mondays through the election

I know he felt, and I agree, that if he had been host of the show through 2016 that Trump might not have won.  

I'm fine with it, but I think he gives himself too much credit. How many Trump voters were watching the Daily Show in 2016, how many will be now?

Edited by gehringer_2

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm fine with it, but I think he gives himself too much credit. How many Trump voters were watching the Daily Show in 2016, how many will be now?

Lazy voter Independents or Democrats could be watching the show, but I agree he is giving himself too much credit.  

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think a lot of angry Bernie voters who sat it out or voted for Trump out of spite may have thought differently if Stewart was still around in 16.   Trump didn't win by much.    (technically he didn't even win)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Probably a huge amount of Independents...

But that wasn't so important in 2016... The angst would have overridden that and still gone for Trump, I think...

But in 2020: muy importante. I believe. Because Indies NEED to be stripped from Trump. Regardless whether left or right leaning...

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think a lot of angry Bernie voters who sat it out or voted for Trump out of spite may have thought differently if Stewart was still around in 16.   Trump didn't win by much.    (technically he didn't even win)

Maybe...

Yeah... maybe Stewart could've reached that contingent.

And the 3rd party voters too, with a "Don't be stupid" message...

Politico had a story about a NH voter. Mid 50s. Retired military. 6 figure IT job today. $600K house.  Yet why is he so angry?  He was an Obama/Trump voter.  Ashli Babbit was also an Obama/Trump voter.   I suspect there’s a lot of them.  Someone needs to figure out who they are and what happened and can they be turned?  Was Obama enough of an outsider for them at the time?  

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

Politico had a story about a NH voter. Mid 50s. Retired military. 6 figure IT job today. $600K house.  Yet why is he so angry?  He was an Obama/Trump voter.  Ashli Babbit was also an Obama/Trump voter.   I suspect there’s a lot of them.  Someone needs to figure out who they are and what happened and can they be turned?  Was Obama enough of an outsider for them at the time?  

People are mad because they are being told the petty prejudices they used to think they enjoyed 'harmlessly' are no longer allowed, that things they grew up believing were wrong, and thus that they are wrong. So they don't like it. There is no one out there in society they have permission to laugh at now  and so the suspicion is that it's them being laughed at by others. I suspect it may not be a lot more complicated than that.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

?

11 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

This is absolutely embarrassing for Tim Scott. Complete invertebrate. 

This is the legacy that Tim Scott, at one time respected, has chosen for himself.  The Black man, grinning broadly, at Trump's KKK meeting.