2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

13 minutes ago, pfife said:

She is definitely turning up the attacks on him.   Good stuff. 

We'll see what the greatest and best counter puncher anybody has ever seen does in response

The thing is that he's a vote for Stalin.  She's a vote for Nixon.  We can survive the latter.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:00 PM, 1984Echoes said:

She'll get her donors and support.

After tonight... there'll be a huge swing in money towards her and away from Trump. Plus some voices.

Book it.

Should I book it under the Yamamoto and Hader signings? 😉

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2024 at 10:00 AM, ewsieg said:

I think it's over as well and eventually she'll bend the knee too.

Of course she will, because Nikki Haley is not a leader. She is a follower. If she's not explicitly following Trump like a puppy dog as a sycophant in his administration, she is following the whims of the mob whose votes she desperately craves as a measure of self-esteem.

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm fine with it, but I think he gives himself too much credit. How many Trump voters were watching the Daily Show in 2016, how many will be now?

It's not about getting Republicans to watch the Daily Show and then turning them away from Trump. It's about getting the Democrats and independents who watch the Daily Show to get motivated to go to the polls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Why not?  AI can take care of that.  

Trumpies don't believe in things like the moon landings, or that JFK is dead, etc. so we can trick them into thinking Obama is still alive.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Jon Stewart coming back to host the Daily Show on Mondays through the election

I know he felt, and I agree, that if he had been host of the show through 2016 that Trump might not have won.  

TV ratings were much different in 2016 then they are now.  The show doesn't have the reach it once had.  I notice someone say republicans don't watch it and that's probably right under the Trevor Noah, but I can see clips getting shared quite a bit on social media if Stewart had a take on things.  So while I doubt it could have the effect I think it could have in 2016, it still could be helpful.

I think Stewart is similar to Maher in that those on the right know they are lefties, but trust that they will call out the left and not just the right.  Stewart's rant on Colbert over the lab leak theory was all over right focuses media / social media.  So when they have a pointed attack on the right, I feel like people on the right are more receptive in listening to the complaint versus simply trying to find a way to attack back.  

4 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

There's only one person in this country with the power to rally enough people to the polls to ensure Biden wins in November.

7083d122-6c34-4202-8aaf-341a34d6d3c3-VPC_TAYLOR_SWIFT_DRIVER_BONUS_getty.webp

This is a stupid question, but when does the 35 year age limit kick in. She turns 35 between election day and inauguration day.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I think the constitution has qualifications for being president, not for running for president.   My uniformed opinion is she's eligible.

yeah - I would agree. By the plainest reading if you turn 35 on inauguration day that should suffice.

However it has never been litigated so a sufficiently loose cannon SCOTUS might foist any non-sequitur logic upon us courtesy of the Federalist Society.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 1/25/2024 at 9:01 AM, GoBlue23 said:

There's only one person in this country with the power to rally enough people to the polls to ensure Biden wins in November.

7083d122-6c34-4202-8aaf-341a34d6d3c3-VPC_TAYLOR_SWIFT_DRIVER_BONUS_getty.webp

Had to break my reprieve of the Political Board to see if anyone had brought her up...

I don't know or really care about her music at all... but Good Lord, the past 24 hours after the Chiefs won has really brought about some deranged brain worms from the far right wing influencer crowd in regards to her.

Just really really weird stuff, and I suspect it reads that way to the median American as well to the extent they are seeing it.

Edited by mtutiger

36 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Had to break my reprieve of the Political Board to see if anyone had brought her up...

I don't know or really care about her music at all... but Good Lord, the past 24 hours after the Chiefs won has really brought about some deranged brain worms from the far right wing influencer crowd in regards to her.

Just really really weird stuff, and I suspect it reads that way to the median American as well to the extent they are seeing it.

We used to be a proper country. 

25 minutes ago, oblong said:

Imagine trying to explain to the Trump zealots concepts like the international date line and such. 

I did see a report since Japan is something like 14 hours ahead of Las Vegas, she could actually do a show, hop a jet and make it to LV by game time.