2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/bidens-memory-issues-draw-attention-neurologists-weigh-rcna138135

My wife is a therapist who works with the elderly and has a mother in her mid 70s.  Her brother constantly worries about memory issues but my wife knows the difference and would not let their mom be in danger to herself. 

At our company gathering in December I was staring for a few minutes at a co worker I interact with daily thru IM and emails trying to remember her name. At a Christmas party I called my cousin Don “Stan” when Stan is his brother and also his father’s name. (Yes they are Polish). 

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/bidens-memory-issues-draw-attention-neurologists-weigh-rcna138135

My wife is a therapist who works with the elderly and has a mother in her mid 70s.  Her brother constantly worries about memory issues but my wife knows the difference and would not let their mom be in danger to herself. 

At our company gathering in December I was staring for a few minutes at a co worker I interact with daily thru IM and emails trying to remember her name. At a Christmas party I called my cousin Don “Stan” when Stan is his brother and also his father’s name. (Yes they are Polish). 

Nice to see that NBC asked some actual professionals... I value their opinions a little more than Bret Stephens and Ross Douthat lol

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

there is no question that on the fly recall gets worse. OTOH, I still know (so far!) exactly who or what I mean even if the noun is AWOL.

A interesting contrast was Biden referring to the President of 'Mexico'. The tongue slipped but he knew perfectly well he was talking about Sisi and referred to him by name correctly in the same sentence. Contrast to Trump thinking he's running against Obama or that Haley was Speaker of the House on 1/6. *That's* confusion.

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

A interesting contrast was Biden referring to the President of 'Mexico'. The tongue slipped but he knew perfectly well he was talking about Sisi and referred to him by name correctly in the same sentence. Contrast to Trump thinking he's running against Obama or that Haley was Speaker of the House on 1/6. *That's* confusion.

It's not an apples to apples comparison, and most by now have forgotten it, but one incident that continues to stick out during the Trump era was the Gary Johnson "Aleppo" gaffe. 

Like, Johnson was clearly out of his depth, but he was earnest in the process regardless and overall seemed decent. The media absolutely roasted him for it.

By contrast, Trump, on the subject of the Middle East, gave an answer in (iirc) Debate One with HRC that would best be described as verbal diarrhea. One that, just on merits alone, was even more incoherent than Johnson's was. And nobody cared...

I always sort of remember it because it really emphasized to me how little substance really matters in how these things get framed. People have low expectations of Trump on substance, and he drives clicks and ratings. So it checks out that he gets treated differently 

28 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

not even a deranged mad *man*, but a deranged two year old in a man's body. He is the most infantile excuse for an adult I may ever have seen on the pubic stage going back 6 decades and as Sue says, our idiot populace laps it up. You have to wonder what these people's children look like if they indulge them in a level of childishness like Trump's.

Edited by gehringer_2

33 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I honestly don't understand why any leader in any capitol in Europe would trust us at this point. I hate to say it, but it's reality.

And as a collective, I don't think Americans really understand the negatives that would come with losing the NATO alliance. We have a lot power on the world stage and to determine its direction, there's a ton of benefits from a financial and prestige perspective. And if we aren't the guarantors of that, someone else (ie. China) will gladly fill that void.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

And as a collective, I don't think Americans really understand

QFT

you know, Franbk Herbert - author of DUNE,  makes reference in the book's themes about Humans needing 'Jihad' (note he was using the word in a literary way, years before Sunni fundamentalism came into public consciousness) , periods of war and chaos to mix up the gene pool and drive the race in new directions, which is basically what the story line in Dune is. 

I always thought conceptually that while it made for an interesting novel, the idea of their being a sense of species stagnation leading to eventual collapse and chaos was still a very odd idea.  All these years later, I'm wondering if he was on to something.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 hours ago, oblong said:

My mother was constantly running down the list (Stu, George, Chuck) in some conversations with me. The first two were her brothers. She was maybe in her 40s. If I spent anytime visiting family, I'd end up calling my son my youngest brothers name.

However that would only once in a conversation. Not numerous times in a speech.

14 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

My mother was constantly running down the list (Stu, George, Chuck) in some conversations with me. The first two were her brothers. She was maybe in her 40s. If I spent anytime visiting family, I'd end up calling my son my youngest brothers name.

However that would only once in a conversation. Not numerous times in a speech.

From the time I knew her in her middle 50s, my grandmother always ran through the whole list of her children and grandchildren when she hollered at one of us. She lived to 94 and never had any dementia. I think that kind of thing is much more a matter of 'auto-pilot.' Almost the inverse of confusion - there are conceptual/emotional frameworks that you know so well you just pull them up from memory whole without having to think about them once they register as applicable, but since they may attach to multiple people, the specific subject doesn't come up with it.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

You know what?

Americans may just be too ****ing stupid to actually stop the slide into our total destruction and historical obscurity.  

We’ll deserve to be “over”.  

I don't disagree but what everyone seems to miss is those supporting Trump WANT exactly that - total destruction.

They have no interest in anything else. They don't want to be beholden to "Truth, Justice and the American Way."

They want racism, Fascism, Nazism, death and destruction - of course as long as it is happening to someone else.

This is what they WANT and they will elect someone like Trump to get it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

I don't disagree but what everyone seems to miss is those supporting Trump WANT exactly that - total destruction.

They have no interest in anything else. They don't want to be beholden to "Truth, Justice and the American Way."

They want racism, Fascism, Nazism, death and destruction - of course as long as it is happening to someone else.

This is what they WANT and they will elect someone like Trump to get it.

Those are just words. T-shirt and stupid hat material.
They might SAY that’s what they want, but they also want you to keep sending their Social Security checks, the Medicare/Medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing, etc.

They have no idea that “blowing it up“ would actually be blowing all of that up. Dumbasses.

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

Those are just words. T-shirt and stupid hat material.
They might SAY that’s what they want, but they also want you to keep sending their Social Security checks, the Medicare/Medicaid, food stamps, subsidized housing, etc.

They have no idea that “blowing it up“ would actually be blowing all of that up. Dumbasses.

Btw…. Getting over Covid since last week has put me in a horrible “get off my lawn” pissy old-lady, end-of-the world mood.

I will try to chill out .

Perhaps cupcakes tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smr-nj said:

Btw…. Getting over Covid since last week has put me in a horrible “get off my lawn” pissy old-lady, end-of-the world mood.

I will try to chill out .

Perhaps cupcakes tomorrow.

We survived Hitler, the Soviets and Al Qaida.  The United States is still a beacon of hope for the World.  Even if the idioligarchs appear hell bent on driving the entire thing into a bridge abutment.