2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

QFT

you know, Franbk Herbert - author of DUNE,  makes reference in the book's themes about Humans needing 'Jihad' (note he was using the word in a literary way, years before Sunni fundamentalism came into public consciousness) , periods of war and chaos to mix up the gene pool and drive the race in new directions, which is basically what the story line in Dune is. 

I always thought conceptually that while it made for an interesting novel, the idea of their being a sense of species stagnation leading to eventual collapse and chaos was still a very odd idea.  All these years later, I'm wondering if he was on to something.

That actually is the theme of his last 3 Dune novels, not Dune.

God Emperor of Dune.

Heretics of Dune.

Chapterhouse Dune.

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

That actually is the theme of his last 3 Dune novels, not Dune.

God Emperor of Dune.

Heretics of Dune.

Chapterhouse Dune.

I loved the 1st, but Herbert lost me somewhere around 'Children' in the sequels. And not that I follow Hollywood all that closely, but has Lucas ever officially recognized how much he cribbed from Dune?

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I loved the 1st, but Herbert lost me somewhere around 'Children' in the sequels. And not that I follow Hollywood all that closely, but has Lucas ever officially recognized how much he cribbed from Dune?

Children and God Emperor were outstanding. Very complex though... and he starts going into a deep dive in Jungian philosophy... The dialogue starts getting very thick and opaque... so I can see where it loses people...

And no... I don't believe Lucas ever cottoned to the cribbing...

Edited by 1984Echoes

On 2/10/2024 at 10:52 AM, Tiger337 said:

I don't especiallycare about Biden or the Democrats one way or the other.  My main function in this forum is to vent about how uniquely horrible Trump is.  I was laughing at your post not because of anything you said about Biden, but because you suggested that Trump did not take the documents for his persnal gain.  How is that even possible with him?  

I said that there is no evidence that he has sold these documents.  Due to the fact he's a horrible boss, people flip on him all the time and thus why we know so many unethical and illegal things he does.  Yet there have been no rumors that he's ever sold them, simply that if he could, he would.  What we also know is he likes to keep "trophies" from what he thinks shows him in good light as well.  

As for Biden, it's clear he wanted these documents to help him craft how he was going to defend his Afghanistan position in a book he was looking to sell.  

In this lone variable, all I'm saying is there appear to be facts that Biden did something that most of you accuse Trump of doing without facts.

In response to everyone else that I argued were defense of Biden, none of you are wrong, well, except Pfife of course.

Trump did do it worse on the documents, Trump is a worse human being, and a much worse president than Biden.  But I do want standards to apply to everyone.  If Trump having classified documents risked clandestine sources and put lives at risk, why not speak about Biden in the same light and with the same gravity of the situation? 

Trump ****ting on NATO and praising Putin, Orban and XI

well,the World is noticing. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68268817

And so it begins. Nine months still to go before the next US presidential election and already the Republican party favourite and former President Donald Trump is sending eyebrows and blood pressure skywards in Nato capitals with his provocative statements.

And yet they will delight many of his supporters.

Suggesting at a rally in South Carolina that he would "encourage" aggressors (for example Russia) "to do whatever the hell they want" with Nato countries that fail to pay their dues has prompted an immediate condemnation from the White House. A spokesman called the comment "appalling and unhinged", saying it was "encouraging invasions of our closest allies by murderous regimes".

Nato Secretary-general Jens Stoltenberg has also responded forcefully, saying: "Any suggestion that allies will not defend each other undermines all of our security, including that of the US, and puts American and European soldiers at increased risk."

GOP you will rue this.  And i'm here to make sure you do.

If Establishment Republicans stick with this horse**** then they are dead to me too.

They had 4 years and Jan 6th to figure out just exactly what kind of scumbag corrupt fascist POS this guy is.

He is speaking loudly and clearly that he is going to be even worse if there's a next time.

If moderate Republicans do NOT vote in massive droves for Biden... then they are ****ing dead to me too.

I can't ****ing stand this. Watching this country descend into a cesspool of bigotry and violence, fascism and abject stupidity.

WTF America?

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

If Establishment Republicans stick with this horse**** then they are dead to me too.

They had 4 years and Jan 6th to figure out just exactly what kind of scumbag corrupt fascist POS this guy is.

He is speaking loudly and clearly that he is going to be even worse if there's a next time.

If moderate Republicans do NOT vote in massive droves for Biden... then they are ****ing dead to me too.

I can't ****ing stand this. Watching this country descend into a cesspool of bigotry and violence, fascism and abject stupidity.

WTF America?

40 years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

40 years.  

That would be you and me, and anyone else who was actually paying attention, or at least not corrupted by Party Polemics.

But if Moderate Republicans cannot call for an end to this NONSENSE... RIGHT NOW... then they can ALL go **** themselves.

It's called "country before party". If they don't have the gonads for that, then every single one of them can rot in hell for all of eternity. Moderates. Like Kasich, Hogan, Christie, Haley, and even non-moderates who are SUPPOSED to have INTEGRITY. Ryan, McConnell, etc.

They need to DECLARE they are voting Democrat, because of Trump. 

If they can't do that... then they are ALL consigned to eternal damnation.

10 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

For the youngsters...

Later on Quayle was asked by Larry King if he could respond now, what would he say?  "Yeah and my wife is glad I am not Jack Kennedy"

Quayle wasn't wrong.  JFK had a very thin legislative and governing resume in 1960. Much of his congressional career was spent sick in the hospital.  

Once he decided to run for POTUS he realized he needed a wife, so he found a suitable one in pedigree in Jackie.  Then he got himself on some good commitees.

17 hours ago, ewsieg said:

In response to everyone else that I argued were defense of Biden, none of you are wrong, well, except Pfife of course.

I'm not wrong and you calling me wrong is evidence that I'm not wrong