2024 Presidential Election thread

pfife

10 hours ago, mtutiger said:
  2. Approximately zero American soldiers are being endangered on account of this war.... the debate is over providing economic aid to a nation so that Ukrainians can fight to maintain their independence.

Just to be clear, I was talking about wars in general.  

On 2/15/2024 at 7:03 AM, romad1 said:

African American colleague I would describe as very solid as an engineer but not particularly political said "its about time we stopped spending money on other people's wars" which is just...  ok, well...um.   

Others in the discussion said, better in Ukraine than elsewhere which sort of shut him up.  But, dayum.  

Re-read this post a few times and still trying to figure out how his being African-American factors into the anecdote?

On 2/15/2024 at 7:18 AM, Tiger337 said:

I always thought that America's involvement in wars was always to the benefit of Americans. Maybe not all Americans or even most Americans and the benefits may not always be well intentioned, but I don't think we are spending money and endangering soldiers for magnanimous reasons

We do it to maintain influence, markets, and access to resources. Also, if we don't, the enemies will.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We do it to maintain influence, markets, and access to resources. Also, if we don't, the enemies will.

That was my assumption.  Every President is "America first" and, for the most part, they should be for practical reasons.    

On 2/17/2024 at 2:42 PM, chasfh said:

Re-read this post a few times and still trying to figure out how his being African-American factors into the anecdote?

Oh, its the penetration of the America First ignorance to his demo, creating a softening of the anti-Trump coalition.  Its a demo that would otherwise be solid D and anti-Trump.

Edited by romad1

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Here's a reason to feel a little more optimistic about the election in November—assuming it's a free and fair one:

I didn't read it but it ties into this theme I see among that crowd that basically treats young women like crap, moreso than before.  Us tough men are not doing a good enough job with our women and boys by letting them turn into a bunch of softies. There's a movement in the Christian Nationalist lot that thinks its a good idea to revert to something like 1 vote per household.  We can't let women and these Swifties change our country.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

I didn't read it but it ties into this theme I see among that crowd that basically treats young women like crap, moreso than before.  Us tough men are not doing a good enough job with our women and boys by letting them turn into a bunch of softies. There's a movement in the Christian Nationalist lot that thinks its a good idea to revert to something like 1 vote per household.  We can't let women and these Swifties change our country.

These are also the same people who want to go to single-day voting with paper-only ballots that are hand-counted only which, I guess, is more secure?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Michigan Republican party is like the episode of The Office where there were two party planning committees. 

The Karmano Krazies could stay home and offset any Muslim vote issues.

13 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I had actually forgotten Pete Hoekstra still exists. Wasn't he the jackwagon who ran a commercial with an Asian woman in broken English in a rice paddy? That was what, 2012?

I tought that was Jack Morris.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Next Trump will release his own brand of Salsa to appeal to Mexican voters. Look under the lid for your chance to win the opportunity to avoid the detention camps. 

Which could be a brand of humus for anyone of near eastern ethnicity with similar contest.  

speaking of eating checkers

It is hard to actually rationalize and accept that these highly influential people are advocating for a "Footloose" level of control over our humanity and the evil hack who wants to get his hands on our money again for himself and his rich friends is going to play along. 

You may have seen the post earlier this week about Bill Kristol saying that the Dems need to make Putin Trump's running mate 1988 Willie Horton style... They also really need to hang these religious zealots around his neck.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

speaking of eating checkers

It is hard to actually rationalize and accept that these highly influential people are advocating for a "Footloose" level of control over our humanity and the evil hack who wants to get his hands on our money again for himself and his rich friends is going to play along. 

and it's hard to rationalize that this isn't a huge story in the media and that the party pushing this doesn't have support stuck in the 20% range rather than a neck and neck race.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

and it's hard to rationalize that this isn't a huge story in the media and that the party pushing this doesn't have support stuck in the 20% range rather than a neck and neck race.

That is another maddening thing.  The fact that these kleptocrats are slip streaming the theocrats or the other way around.   We have Richard Grennel and other well-out of the closet types as well as obvious in the closet types who are working hard to return Trump to power.   Meanwhile, the Prudepower churchladies seem to think they will be able to do away with the orgasm 1984 Engsoc style.