On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

If you don't sign your draft pick this year, you get the same pick next year, -1 slot. So #3 this year becomes #4 next year.

Right, but why would he sign for the 4th slot money?   

5 minutes ago, jz68 said:

Cause its still a crap ton of money and a less risk than passing it and going to college where preforming worse or getting hurt would see him tumble when he enters the draft and receive significantly less money and opportunity than being a high round 1 pick. 

The slots are just recommended amounts and go to a total pool your team has to sign draft picks. So you might spend less on your round 1 guy so in round two you can get a player who has higher financial demands and teams passed on him at the end of the first. He's a better talent but priced himself out of some team's range. You'll see teams do that. Spend less on top pick than slot and use the saving later in the draft. We did to land Colt Keith for example. Other times you'll see teams go over slot and spend more to get a player then in a later round draft a way less prospect that is often a college senior and offer them pennies to save money. 

Edited by KL2

1 minute ago, jz68 said:

It did come across that way in his interview but I'm sure he misspoke, I doubt he would leave that much money on the table unless he agreed to that soley because he wanted to play for the Tigers which I find kinda hard to believe. 

Just now, KL2 said:

Cause its still a crap ton of money and a less risk than passing it and goign to college where preforming worse or getting hurt would see him tumble when he enters the draft. 

But he was the third pick, why wouldn't he be getting third slot money?  Mind you, I have no idea how any of this works.  

6 minutes ago, jz68 said:

He could have gone 5th or 6th but went 3rd.

A quick conversation gets an agreement at #4 slot money and we draft him.

Langford could have said I won't sign unless it's #3 slot money plus 5%. Or something like that...

There's wiggle room. The slot #'s are not set in stone.

Going over or under restricts what a team can do in later rounds though...

There are penalties for paying more than 5% of a teams' OVERALL draft $ allotment (NOT per pick.. overall number...)

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 1

Just now, jz68 said:

Oh wow, this is so complicated.....lol 🤪

yeah it goes to strategy, do you take the best guy you possibly can knowing it will cost you more and might hurt who you can take later or do you take a guy down a spot or two on the overall ranking hoping to get prospect 21 instead of 27 later. 

Usually depends on the players available and what your system needs. 

It sounds like Texas was taking him for sure at 4 if we didn't so the only incentive I could see for him agreeing to settle for 4th slot money for the Tigers is if he genuinely wanted to be picked by us instead of Texas. Perhaps him and his agent feel that there is a quicker path to the majors with us vs. them which is why he wanted to be here.

IDK but I see no other reason why they would be so willing to take below slot if they truly were going to be drafted at 4 and get that same amount anyway. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It sounds like Texas was taking him for sure at 4 if we didn't so the only incentive I could see for him agreeing to settle for 4th slot money for the Tigers is if he genuinely wanted to be picked by us instead of Texas. Perhaps him and his agent feel that there is a quicker path to the majors with us vs. them which is why he wanted to be here.

IDK but I see no other reason why they would be so willing to take below slot if they truly were going to be drafted at 4 and get that same amount anyway. 

Prestige and in this case he probably doesn't mind the potential of playing close to home/family

15 minutes ago, jz68 said:

But he was the third pick, why wouldn't he be getting third slot money?  Mind you, I have no idea how any of this works.  

let's say his advisory team knows that the next team in line that showed serious interest in him picked 6th, then he still does better if he agrees with the Tigers to be taken 3rd with 4th slot money because he's +2 slots from the alternative. His team knows the Tigers would probably not cry too much and take Lanford instead if he didn't agree.

We don't see any of the conversations that have been going on pretty much non-stop for probably over a month between all the teams and agents.

6 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

A name to keep in mind is Arjun Nimalla. Rumors are he was asking for some bigger $ so may be someone we are trying to float. He's only 17 and will be 18 all next season as well.

IF we could get a guy like that due to saving money with Clark then it would totally go against my previous rant of not caring about saving money with picks cause getting a borderline top 10 guy in the comp round would be a huge coup. But from my recollection that rarely happens, usually it's a guy that may have been 25-30th who you end up getting which to me isn't that big of drop. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

IF we could get a guy like that due to saving money with Clark then it would totally go against my previous rant of not caring about saving money with picks cause getting a borderline top 10 guy in the comp round would be a huge coup. But from my recollection that rarely happens, usually it's a guy that may have been 25-30th who you end up getting which to me isn't that big of drop. 

Too late.

Nimmala gone.

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

There are a bunch of HS guys 24-34 like that...

And two left in the top 15 in Houck and Miller...