On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

I am wilingl to drink the kool aid and believe Clark was the right pick.  But passing on Langford definitely gives me vibes that we are over-thinking it.  I wonder how many of the 30 mlb teams pass on Langford there.  

Edited by Hart

My guess is that the Tigers took Clark because he was willing to sign for the #4 slot, I don't think any top HS players are slipping, to make up for the slot difference. I'm not a big fan of this pick, but if Clark turns out to be the energizer bunny type, he can rack up some decent WAR numbers.

8 minutes ago, jz68 said:

MLB really needs to do something to spice up their draft because this is dull AF.   

They have spiced it up a lot over the years.  You can only do so much with the baseball draft though because it takes so long for even the best ones to make the majors.  It will never have the immediate impact of the NFL, NBA drafts.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2023-mlb-draft

From Fangraphs...

Clark has sublime feel for contact and can really run, presenting teams with an old school leadoff hitter's profile as he enters pro ball. With barrel control well beyond his years, Clark has rare hit tool projection for a high school prospect, spraying flush, all-fields contact with remarkable consistency. Though his swing doesn't feature big lift and Clark lacks overt, frame-based power projection, the amount of contact he makes and its quality should enable him to hit for plenty of in-game power in pro ball, just probably not 30-plus homers. Clark has Corbin Carroll's high school skill set with something closer to a prototypical major league build and more present physicality than Carroll had at the same stage. It's not as though Clark is built like high school Manny Machado or Ken Griffey Jr., but he's sinewy and strong, especially in his lower half. While some weight room warriors (like Spencer Torkelson and Jarred Kelenic) may have gotten so muscular and stiff that they began to have problems dipping to contact pitches low in the strike zone, Clark's natural barrel feel should help mitigate this. He has special hit tool projection and speed, the latter of which should help enable him to stay in center field even though his feel for the position is only fair. There are scouts and executives who view Clark as lacking the high-end upside of a top three pick, but he is the most polished hitter in the class and is poised to go inside the top five.

Just now, Tiger337 said:

They have spiced it up a lot over the years.  You can only do so much with the baseball draft though because it takes so long for even the best ones to make the majors.  It will never have the immediate impact of the NFL, NBA drafts.  

I mean I remember watching the screen update waiting for the picks to roll in back when it was just a conference call 😅

11 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2023-mlb-draft

From Fangraphs...

Clark has sublime feel for contact and can really run, presenting teams with an old school leadoff hitter's profile as he enters pro ball. With barrel control well beyond his years, Clark has rare hit tool projection for a high school prospect, spraying flush, all-fields contact with remarkable consistency. Though his swing doesn't feature big lift and Clark lacks overt, frame-based power projection, the amount of contact he makes and its quality should enable him to hit for plenty of in-game power in pro ball, just probably not 30-plus homers. Clark has Corbin Carroll's high school skill set with something closer to a prototypical major league build and more present physicality than Carroll had at the same stage. It's not as though Clark is built like high school Manny Machado or Ken Griffey Jr., but he's sinewy and strong, especially in his lower half. While some weight room warriors (like Spencer Torkelson and Jarred Kelenic) may have gotten so muscular and stiff that they began to have problems dipping to contact pitches low in the strike zone, Clark's natural barrel feel should help mitigate this. He has special hit tool projection and speed, the latter of which should help enable him to stay in center field even though his feel for the position is only fair. There are scouts and executives who view Clark as lacking the high-end upside of a top three pick, but he is the most polished hitter in the class and is poised to go inside the top five.

If he can be a legitimate lead off guy, someone we have lacked, I’m on board.