On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

Kiley McDaniel(ESPN):

21. Kevin McGonigle (18.8), SS, Monsignor Bonner HS (PA), Auburn commit

Hit: 30/60, Power: 25/50, Speed: 50/50, Field: 40/45, Throw: 50/50

McGonigle fits the kind of hitter I've consistently been higher on than most of the industry: pure hitter with shorter limbs, medium power, good-not-great defensive ability. Tyler Black, Sal Frelick, and Eric Brown Jr. were this type and were all taken by the Brewers while the Astros took my strongest feeling of players in this bucket, Drew Gilbert, last year. I'm not quite as sold on him as I was on Gilbert, but McGonigle is next up with all the traits that matter. He's a plus hitter who dominated over the summer and can play the infield while also having sneaky in-game power. Don't complicate this, MLB teams.

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Overall...

I'm not digging this draft...

Same. I have no idea how this is going to turn out but 4 or 5 hours ago I thought it was all but assured that we'd be walking a way with a near generational bat and top 10 overall prospect whether it be Langford or Crews, instead we have a great HS prospect but HS prospect nonetheless followed by a slight steal and a big reach...atleast according to the rankings. 

Maybe Clark will not only hit his ceiling but move quickly and he'll make an impact by 2025 and maybe McGonigle turns into a legit 2B prospect but boy when you have your heart set on getting a top 10 overall prospect who almost assuredly would help the big league team by Opening Day 2025 and don't get it it just really stings. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Just think though..... if they "hit" and become MLB players, it opens up trades. I say take the highest ceiling possible.

Remember, we got guys from the Rays front office and Dodgers front office doing our draft now. This feels like Rays and Dodger picks already and I'm all for it. Don't get me wrong. I wish we got Langford over Clark when he was drafted. But the more I think about it, Clark could be the next Byron Buxton with 20 HR's annually instead of 30. I'll take that all day long.

I don't get the Anderson pick. Most of his home runs were to right field. Not sure he can clear the fence at CoPa. Sub par speed and fielding. Arm isn't good enough for third. Too many ground balls. Does make good hard contact. He sounds like Tork-lite.

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Same. I have no idea how this is going to turn out but 4 or 5 hours ago I thought it was all but assured that we'd be walking a way with a near generational bat and top 10 overall prospect whether it be Langford or Crews, instead we have a great HS prospect but HS prospect nonetheless followed by a slight steal and a big reach...atleast according to the rankings. 

Maybe Clark will not only hit his ceiling but move quickly and he'll make an impact by 2025 and maybe McGonigle turns into a legit 2B prospect but boy when you have your heart set on getting a top 10 overall prospect who almost assuredly would help the big league team by Opening Day 2025 and don't get it it just really stings. 

But you're assuming Lankford is guaranteed to hit as well. He's not

Anderson's video suggests he's a bit stocky (and apparently picked up some HR power towards the end of the season).  No idea where he plays--the MLB guys suggested he probably wouldn't stay in the middle infield. Maybe 1B?

As a reminder, these are now Harris' guys.  Meadows, Jung, etc.. were inherited.  I would not be surprised, and actually pleased, if we moved some of our prospects that might hold appeal to other teams for controllable major leaguers, especially teams who are looking to reduce payroll.  Not to go for it this season, but to accelerate our turnaround.  

While the Paredes for Meadows trade didn't work out, I think those are the types we should pursue.