On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

19 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

If we come away from this draft with a solid center fielder and shortstop it doesn’t matter  what people say or who else we draft it’s a huge win. 

I'm going to amend that (personally, for myself...) to getting: a solid CF'er and a solid SS and 1 solid starter and 1 solid reliever = it's a major win.

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

I'm going to amend that (personally, for myself...) to getting: a solid CF'er and a solid SS and 1 solid starter and 1 solid reliever = it's a major win.

Almost no draft class has ever landed that much.

Remember one starter and a reliever is a home run.

To put it context, Spencer Turnbull has the second highest WAR of any player drafted in the 2014 second round... and only 8 guys drafted in the first 41 picks (round 1) are higher.

3 minutes ago, KL2 said:

To put it context, Spencer Turnbull has the second highest WAR of any player drafted in the 2014 second round... and only 8 guys drafted in the first 41 picks (round 1) are higher.

I think this is the thing that took me the longest to understand. You are lucky if you get a solid regular and a SP in one draft that has sustained success. 

4 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Dude...

I'm going for broke...

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

If we come away from this draft with a solid center fielder and shortstop it doesn’t matter  what people say or who else we draft it’s a huge win. 

The core of a baseball team is about 15 guys who average at leat 5 yrs per career. So all you really need is 2 to 3 core level players per year combined from the US draft plus the international draft and the occasional undrafted find like Foley. Doesn't seem like so high a bar, but the Tiger's hadn't been able to get over it often until recently with the Tigers finding  Mize, Skubal, Turnbull, Manning, Tork, Greene, Carpenter, Foley in the last few years.  Of course if they improve they have to keep that up with lower picks.

Edited by gehringer_2

28 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

if you are taking HS players you better have the ability to develop them; decades of failure makes me nervous that they really can do it, but whole new team in place obviously

I'm less on board with taking HS pitchers. Just my overall impression but I think the projectability of pitchers improves more from 18 to 20 with pitchers than hitters  so I don't see as much motivation to shop prep pitchers. Plus only a few guys (Eury Perez excepted) are physcially mature enough or have commmand enough to successfully throw starter's innings in the majors until they are 22-24 anyway so they aren't going to be ready much sooner for being drafted sooner. I remember the Dodgers had everyone hyped up about Urias at 19 and he still didn't find success until 24.

Edited by gehringer_2

Just now, Tigeraholic1 said:

The last guy who went all in. I was kidding.

OK.

Because otherwise I'm taking that as a personal insult.

But just kidding is certainly ok... But also: I don't see where AA went all in on anything. That was a huge part of the problem. He half-arsed everything which led him to being shown the door. So I guess I still don't get the reference...

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The core of a baseball team is about 15 guys who average at leat 5 yrs per career. So all you really need is 2 to 3 core level players per year combined from the US draft plus the international draft and the occasional undrafted find like Foley. Doesn't seem like so high a bar, but the Tiger's hadn't been able to get over it often until recently with the Tigers finding Castellanos, Mize, Skubal, Turnbull, Manning, Tork, Greene, Carpenter, Foley in the last few years.  Of course if they improve they have to keep that up with lower picks.

Avila's closest looks like 2020 where he drafted Torkelson (MLB), Keith (on the verge), Flores (signed as undrafted after the 5-round draft) & Dingler (both still have some hope).

I think Gage Workman and Danny Cabrera are washing out.

Maybe Trei Cruz still has a hope & a prayer...?

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm less on board with taking HS pitchers. Just my overall impression but I think the projectability of pitchers improves more from 18 to 20 with pitchers than hitters  so I don't see as much motivation to shop prep pitchers.

There are a few I think are worth the risk. Especially if we are talking 3rd round or later.