On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

If I had more freetime I'd post a picture of the actor that each draftee is named after or had same last name of.  Or in the case of a certain Frankenmouth player...hey oh!

So, there would be a picture of a Hamm's beer or Jon Hamm or Gregory Peck or you get the idea.    My McGonigle was the McGarnegal character from the Simpsons. 

Maybe it's just me, but...

And I'm only reading scouting reports like everyone else, but...

I still don't like this draft, overall.

I like Clark Kent and Professor McGonigle and Paul Wilson... and that's it.

Everyone else looks meh, or worse.

Usually there seems to be more workable tools to work with, even if guys never actually make it.

There just seems to be a whole lot of "lacking too much skills here, there, and everywhere, to have any kind of shot" outside of those 3 guys here...

First impression: outside of 3 guys, I don't like it.

Edited by 1984Echoes

39 minutes ago, jz68 said:

I really don't understand the MLB draft.  Why on earth are we drafting a dude about to turn 21 who put up a 5.31 ERA and 1.506 WHIP this year?  

cause its not hte NFL draft. He lost his command a bit this year and that led to his increase. if you turn it around he's the pitcher he was when he was a sophomore and its a decent looking pitcher. All these guys take several years before they are ready at the major level, so its kinda foolhardy to just go by what they did the previous year.

41 minutes ago, jz68 said:

I really don't understand the MLB draft.  Why on earth are we drafting a dude about to turn 21 who put up a 5.31 ERA and 1.506 WHIP this year?  

Good stuff, no command. Could be a reliever some day.  Got to have a couple of them.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Good stuff, no command. Could be a reliever some day.  Got to have a couple of them.  

Brings back warm and fuzzies about the ill-fated all reliever draft. If memory serves though Alex Avila was in that draft. Avila seems to get overlooked when discussing position player Tiger draft success stories. 

1 hour ago, jz68 said:

FB up to 97 with 20" movement. Potential plus breaking ball. Inconsistent delivery, but potential for solid mechanics.

32 minutes ago, KL2 said:

cause its not hte NFL draft. He lost his command a bit this year and that led to his increase. if you turn it around he's the pitcher he was when he was a sophomore and its a decent looking pitcher. All these guys take several years before they are ready at the major level, so its kinda foolhardy to just go by what they did the previous year.

He has one decent season book-ended by really bad ones.  You can't tout one fairly good season and ignore two awful ones.  Who knows what he'll become and I'm certain the scouts know more than I do though.