On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

4 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

The pool money goes to rounds 1-10, there are rules about rounds 11-20.

Yeah, anything over $150 k counts against the bonus pool money.  

Based off their picks today, it seems like the Tigers were tapped out.

Lots of prep players.  I'd have to double check, but they will probably end up with more signed than any other organization.  They definitely have a type they went for among hitters.  

This is how I always hoped the Tigers would draft, focus on upside and correctable issues, and trend younger, where you are on the development curve matters. Now if they can avoid my other pet peeve; don't draft players you can't sign.

Edited by Longgone

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

True to some degree, although as rounds go, ninth rounds have better results on an on an overall basis than 19th round, and that when you look at career results for all the rounds, it really does go pretty sequentially that earlier-round picks perform better as a class than later-round picks. I remember seeing this on a website called Baseball Gauge before Forman bought it and took it offline. 

Makes sense. Just like early picks get more opportunities that later picks. And new GMs usually prefer their picks over previous front office picks. Tork better figure it out....Harris prolly thinks "I didn't pick him"  😆

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Makes sense. Just like early picks get more opportunities that later picks. And new GMs usually prefer their picks over previous front office picks. Tork better figure it out....Harris prolly thinks "I didn't pick him"  😆

Ha ha, yeah, Harris ain’t dumping TORK!

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is that wowza for whatever junior college league Connors State is in?

I think it just means .985 is a really high sluggng percentage.  Amateur stats mean very little, but one can still marvel at the magnitude of a stat regardless of the relevance.  

I am happy with this draft not because I actually know much but because I trust Harris and his team and that it feels very different from Tiger drafts over the past 30 years.  I think we are in good hands and hope Chris feels the same and keeps investing $$.  Next test is the trade deadline !!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think it just means .985 is a really high sluggng percentage.  Amateur stats mean very little, but one can still marvel at the magnitude of a stat regardless of the relevance.  

I’m pretty sure my softball slugging this year is well over 1.000.

48 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Cerkowycz is Draft and Follow eligible, I believe. I honestly don't know if any of last year's draft and follows were actually signed after the follow period.

thanks. did not realize they still had draft and follow for juco guys. looks like of the 7 from 2022, none signed and one was drafted in 2023. if I understand, if Cerkowycz goes to juco for another year, Tigers can sign him until a week before the 2024 draft for up to $225K, with no impact on 2022 draft pool.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I’m pretty sure my softball slugging this year is well over 1.000.

The last year I played I basically quit trying to hit homers and would just hit it over the pitchers head. Every time. And often I would get a double out of it. I wasn’t trying that was just my evolution I guess  

I quit playing because I sincerely was worried I would take out a pitcher. I would warn them. Nobody needs to get hurt. It would scare me. I have noticed a trend in a league I drive by where they actually put the batting practice cages in front of the pitcher.  

I never heard of any of these guys before they were drafted, just like every other year, but I think we have all noticed a definite change in the approach to position players.  You have to have the hit tool, not just power, and you have to have the potential to play a higher value defensive position.  And all the HS players seem to indicate a reinforcement of the huge importance of in-person evaluation, which a lot of fans seem to turn their noses up at now that statistical measurements are so much more advanced.

So I didn't read a any profiles, like Jace Jung's, that suggested that there might not be a logical position for him.  What an eye-roller that was.  Top 5 draft day eye-roller, but the creme-de-la-creme is still Cade Gaspar.  The first 2 words of his profile were "Not overpowering".

16 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I never heard of any of these guys before they were drafted, just like every other year, but I think we have all noticed a definite change in the approach to position players.  You have to have the hit tool, not just power, and you have to have the potential to play a higher value defensive position.  And all the HS players seem to indicate a reinforcement of the huge importance of in-person evaluation, which a lot of fans seem to turn their noses up at now that statistical measurements are so much more advanced.

So I didn't read a any profiles, like Jace Jung's, that suggested that there might not be a logical position for him.  What an eye-roller that was.  Top 5 draft day eye-roller, but the creme-de-la-creme is still Cade Gaspar.  The first 2 words of his profile were "Not overpowering".

A lot of up the middle position players who will put the bat on the ball. Something the big league team is missing.  Put guys on base and nobody can put the ball in play. This draft is a long way from helping solve that problem though. Harris continues the battle for the strike zone.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I think the willingness to focus on HS bats to such a degree indicates that whether they are correct or not, this FO believes they can look at a prep hitter and project with more confidence than the old regime  I think that is what you have to do. Get outside the top 10 picks and pretty much any bat that achieves an OPS+ positive in the majors is an extreme outlier and even big stats from college end up not being all that predictive.

So we'll see if Harris and Co. are as good at this as they seem to believe they are. I just hope we don't lose the ability to find arms that the old regime - despite all their other flaws-  had done a pretty good job with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, oblong said:

The last year I played I basically quit trying to hit homers and would just hit it over the pitchers head. Every time. And often I would get a double out of it. I wasn’t trying that was just my evolution I guess  

I quit playing because I sincerely was worried I would take out a pitcher. I would warn them. Nobody needs to get hurt. It would scare me. I have noticed a trend in a league I drive by where they actually put the batting practice cages in front of the pitcher.  

I almost killed a woman who was pitching in a coed league when i was in my 20's...hit a line drive at her, but it kinda curved around her at eye level.  It was crossing 2nd base when she got the glove up.  No more coed after that

7 hours ago, oblong said:

I was pitching and got drilled by a liner off of the chest.  I wasn't getting my glove up in time or swiveling out of that ball path.  It bounced off of me squarely and trickled over to the 1B side of the slab.  Shame of it was I had him out at 1B if I'd have not rushed the throw.  But I rushed it, lost my balance, tossed it over the 1Bdude's head.  Single, E1, runner on 2nd.  I had a bruise for a week and the stich marks from the ball were visible for the earlier part of it, so that was fun.