On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

31 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

MLB Pipeline disagrees. 

2 (45): Max Anderson, 2B, Nebraska -- (Pick value: $1,906,200)

Anderson has signed for an undisclosed bonus, believed to be under slot. “I was just looking for a team to give me a shot, really,” he said on a call with reporters. “I mean, money wasn’t really a question for me, in all honesty. I’m a baseball player; I’ve got an advisor to worry about the money side.”

Guys like Anderson, who would have projected lower under other circumstances, dont have the leverage in that situation either to demand slot.

There's a good chance he makes more even going underslot than he would made otherwise. Which is why teams do it lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I imagine it's like that for the vast majority of all draft picks right? 

High round picks there is very little doubt what the number/terms are. Lower round picks there can be some uncertainty, but they always have a good idea even on the low round guys. That's where your area scouts make their money....building the relationship with the player/family, and knowing what it will take to sign them.

Just now, microline133 said:

High round picks there is very little doubt what the number/terms are. Lower round picks there can be some uncertainty, but they always have a good idea even on the low round guys. That's where your area scouts make their money....building the relationship with the player/family, and knowing what it will take to sign them.

On the draft subject I mentioned this the other day but not sure you saw it but in a recent Keith Law chat he mentioned that the GM's rarely make any of the pics its usually made my the folks in the scouting and player development camp, how much truth to that is there? I imagine Keith would know better than anybody since he worked in that field but I just wasn't sure if it is like that for every team. 

4 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

That was the 4th guy I liked the most out of all the Tigers draftees this year. Clark, McGonigle, Paul Wilson and Diaz my favorites.

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

On the draft subject I mentioned this the other day but not sure you saw it but in a recent Keith Law chat he mentioned that the GM's rarely make any of the pics its usually made my the folks in the scouting and player development camp, how much truth to that is there? I imagine Keith would know better than anybody since he worked in that field but I just wasn't sure if it is like that for every team. 

Correct. GMs don't make the picks. They may influence strategy, budget approach, etc., but the scouting team is empowered to make the selections.

5 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Is it too early to post a list of those that have signed? If someone has that to share, I think it would be appreciated. Tracking the money would be gravy. TIA

https://www.mlb.com/news/tigers-2023-draft-signings-tracker 

This has it but I think the only money that has been announced is that JUCO catcher.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Question is does he start in the FCL or Lakeland? 

They sent Riley to Rookie league, but he only played 9 games there before they moved him up to Connecticut and in 100 more PA the bumped him to A ball all in the 1st sesaon.  Sounds like Clarks is at least as advanced as Riley but with A- gone I would think he has to go to FCL at least for starters.

When they interviewed him after we picked him I'm pretty sure he said that he talked to Harris and it sounded to him like he would be heading to rookie ball for the year. Don't quote me on that cause I maybe misremembering the interview but I"m fairly certain that was what he said.