On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Stofel becomes the first Wright State player to begin his professional career with Detroit since the Tigers drafted former standout Busty Beam in the 20th round of the 1999 MLB Draft. 

I'll bever forget Busty Beam.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont expect everybody to know or understand the slot system which is fine but in that case preface your post with something like "maybe I'm not understanding this correctly" or something like that instead of just coming out and bashing something so matter of factly when you don't have any knowledge on the subject.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I dont expect everybody to know or understand the slot system which is fine but in that case preface your post with something like "maybe I'm not understanding this correctly" or something like that instead of just coming out and bashing something so matter of factly when you don't have any knowledge on the subject.

I agree.  

The hardest point for me to wrap my head around is the idea that you have to take into account what a player is willing to sign for into consideration when evaluating an individual  pick.  No other professional sports draft is like that...you can argue need vs BPA...but in baseball that doesn't seem to be as big of a debate as "what will this guy cost us"

Just now, Shinzaki said:

The hardest point for me to wrap my head around is the idea that you have to take into account what a player is willing to sign for into consideration when evaluating an individual  pick.  No other professional sports draft is like that...you can argue need vs BPA...but in baseball that doesn't seem to be as big of a debate as "what will this guy cost us"

Agreed this goes totally against the rest of the baseball formula. You have zero salary cap yet you have to hagle a pool of money to sign draft picks? So dumb....

33 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Just read a piece today that the whole system may be an example of unintended consequence. The slot system supposedly ended abused like no-one being willing to pick up Porcello because he had made it plain he wanted big money, and also on the theory that it prevented big market teams from outspending the small. But in reality, drafted players cost so much less than FA acquisitions/retentions that a team can easily overspend the average on the draft and still be a very low cost operator - draft player acquisition is just not a big part of team's potential total spending toward the (non)cap. 

What increases the value of the draft  for a team is more money spent on scouting players, and even that is more a matter of effort than dollars when compared to a potential $200M+ player payroll. So Maybe the old system where a small market team could overpay and attract players that the big market teams hadn't bothered to look hard enough to find actually supported the ability for small market teams to rebuild effectively than the current system..

it's basically how we were able to draft and sign guys like Castellanos and Porcello, when we were drafting later. Mike I and Dombrowski were willing to throw their money around to snag players like this.  Kind of like the old pre-salary cap hockey days when the Wings would go and pay to get anyone they wanted to.

12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

it's basically how we were able to draft and sign guys like Castellanos and Porcello, when we were drafting later. Mike I and Dombrowski were willing to throw their money around to snag players like this.  Kind of like the old pre-salary cap hockey days when the Wings would go and pay to get anyone they wanted to.

Right, the problem for the Tigers is they didn't find many good hitters to throw that money at.

My question would be how do we re-evaluate Avila if his last three top hitters taken, Torkelson, Greene and Jung, all make the majors?  Did he finally actually have a decent scouting staff in place just in time to get himself canned?

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Right, the problem for the Tigers is they didn't find many good hitters to throw that money at.

My question would be how do we re-evaluate Avila if his last three top hitters taken, Torkelson, Greene and Jung, all make the majors?  Did he finally actually have a decent scouting staff in place just in time to get himself canned?

Really need to add Colt Keith to the equation as well... 

the interwebs don't do nuance. Avila failed at everything! is the only HOT TAKE we are allowed.

seriously, Avila had some wins on his watch, probably more than he gets credit for, just not enough wins, not fast enough, not visible enough, and not enough to overcome his faceplant trades and free agents signings.

• Thanks 2