On the Bright Side: 2023 MLB Draft

1984Echoes

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

They might be waiting for the numbers to all finalize, leaving him for last so they know exactly what "extra" number above slot they can give him. I'm guessing he is agreeable with that approach...?

Yeah, the other guys are a factor here as well for sure....

Overall, I don't think they draft McGonigle if they didn't think they could reel him in. Not too concerned about it yet.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah, the other guys are a factor here as well for sure....

Overall, I don't think they draft McGonigle if they didn't think they could reel him in. Not too concerned about it yet.

Agreed, they know his number and wouldn't draft him unless they knew they could sign him. That being said he is 18 and he could have had a change of heart about going to college. Unlikely but 🤷‍♂️

Barring a completely catastrophic turn of events (think major medical flags or the kid just straight walking away), this deal gets done. They knew exactly what he wanted before they picked him and don't make the selection that high without it being a 99% certainty. Once they drafted McGonigle, their math and draft decisions included his number.

• Like 3

You have to be a bit strategic about the order you lock in the bonuses... Again, if everybody is hit by a truck or fails their physical, you want to make sure you aren't over 5% over in case you don't unexpectedly lose some bonus pool.

Currently 4.22% over, not including Rogers who likely went a bit over $150K.

It's no coincidence McGonigle is last to sign among the Top 10 rounds.

47 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

You have to be a bit strategic about the order you lock in the bonuses... Again, if everybody is hit by a truck or fails their physical, you want to make sure you aren't over 5% over in case you don't unexpectedly lose some bonus pool.

Currently 4.22% over, not including Rogers who likely went a bit over $150K.

It's no coincidence McGonigle is last to sign among the Top 10 rounds.

so tell me if I have this right: If a deal falls through, you get a pick back next yr and lose the slot amount of the pick that isn't signing. So if deals planned to be underslot fall through, you get charged the whole slot amount even though you weren't going to spend it, and if you've already make your overslot deals then you can end up short? Ergo, nail down all the underslots first.

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

so tell me if I have this right: If a deal falls through, you get a pick back next yr and lose the slot amount of the pick that isn't signing. So if deals planned to be underslot fall through, you get charged the whole slot amount even though you weren't going to spend it, and if you've already make your overslot deals then you can end up short? Ergo, nail down all the underslots first.

Kinda... you lose the unsigned slot from your pool. Hypothetical to make the math easy.

Let's say you have a 10M pool and you have signed all but a pick whose slot is 1M and plan on signing him to slot but he fails his physical. You are 500K over going in. If he signs, you are 500k over, no draft penalty.

If he does not sign, your bonus pool is 9M, 500K over is 5.6% over and you lose your first rounder next year.

Prefer to get everybody of course but Im most concerned with McGonigle so if we got to max out to get him and lose the late round HS guys so be it. Either way though I'm 99.99% positive that the Tigers won't go over the max and lose their pick next year. They will probably get to within a dollar or something minuscule like that. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

not sure if Rogers got more than 150K in the 20th round, but that brings them to 1.0467% of pool - $52,110 still can be spent on Rogers or 17th or 18th round HS guys.

Honestly, 19/21 when they selected so many prep players is pretty good even if they don't sign the 17th and 18th pick.

• Like 1

crunching some numbers.

Tigers gave both McGonigle (CBP) and Rucker (4) exactly 123% of slot. (Diaz got 117%.)

I thought they would easily have extra money for 17th and 18th round guys, but Wilson was a huge splurge (over 750K more than slot), so maybe they just don't have enough to entice those 2.

Tigers have the biggest bonus in rounds: CBA, 12, and 15

This really has nothing to do with the Tigers but I'm curious why baseball players are allowed to negotiate contracts with agents and pro teams and not lose their college eligibility yet for sports like the NBA and NFL the moment they sign with an agent they forfeit their eligibility. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

This really has nothing to do with the Tigers but I'm curious why baseball players are allowed to negotiate contracts with agents and pro teams and not lose their college eligibility yet for sports like the NBA and NFL the moment they sign with an agent they forfeit their eligibility. 

I'm just going to WAG that in the NBA and NFL, hiring an agent is basically a "done deal" that the prospect is going pro... one way or the other.

In MLB, that's not necessarily true. If there's no pro agreement that they like (it's not enough money to convince them), they go to (or back to) college and forego any pro money. Which is a very real possibility. 

Unlike the NBA or NFL which is pretty much, like I said, a "done deal".

this was the Andy Oliver case, where one agent tattled on Oliver that he had represented him in negotiation as a high schooler, but then he bolted (I think to Boras) as his "advisor". NCAA tried to suspend Oliver and he sued, basically saying he had a right to consult legal counsel as a 18-year old while dealing with a multi-billion dollar organization, and any NCAA rule to the contrary was void as against public policy. He won, not sure on what grounds. But like so much of what the NCAA did and does, the agent rule is bullcrap, and I doubt they would try to defend it in court again. The NCAA just does not want these kids to be empowered. It is a cruel and dumb rule.