08/05/2022 7:10 EDT Tampa Bay Rays at Detroit Tigers

casimir

Side note, soooo does Chris actually introduce Lou at tomorrows ceremony, whilst getting booed lustilly? I really hope so...at this point I'm all about the hillarity of the pathetic disconnect and lack of self awareness that that would further show.  This org is an effing sideshow at this point, may as well have Chris misfire his only two brain cells again and throw fuel on this already raging dumpster fire full of dirty daipers, all while he's not even aware of what's happening around him - "oh look AL, they're all saying LOUUUUUU!!".  I'm actually impressed by his smooth brained cluelesness...perhaps it was best he was born a billionaire; he probably couldnt even get a job making hot n readys otherwise.

12 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: On that note: Did we have 4 starters or 5 starters in 1984 in a rotation?

Dave Rozema, Milt Wilcox, and sometimes Juan Berenguer?

Because I'm hoping we have a whole lot better pitching in our rotation than in 1984... so:

Mize, Manning, Skubal, Turnbull, Brieske, Rodriguez, Wentz (in the future of course... whoever survives the next coupla years...)

I glanced at the 84 pitching staff not that long ago.  It was a 4 1/2 man starting rotation.

Oh, heck, going off of memory sucks.  Let's take a stroll down memory lane....

image.thumb.png.8d9f5584d359f921463d8d4e7fca5871.png

14 pitchers used for the whole season.  That's it.  That's the list.

I don't think its possible to compare 1984 to 2022 or a projected 2025.  Its a different era, a different game.  Look at those IPs by pitcher.  The top 4 SPs and the top 2 RPs accounted for around 76% of the total team IP.  Morris, Petry, and Wilcox started over 100 games and averaged 6.5 IP per start.

But also look at those SO9 numbers.  5.6 as a pitching staff?  That doesn't play today when the MLB average is 8.5.

10 hours ago, kdog said:

Offense scores 3 runs early and does nothing afterwards. An overworked bullpen eventually will collapse.

It will collapse.  I don't know that I feel right blaming them for what will likely occur.  They've done marvelous work in the first 4 months of the season when considering the health of the pitching staff.  An adequate offense should have this team around .500.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, casimir said:

Candelario might have been in the 3B mix for the 1984 Tigers.  Heck, Darrell Evans got some run over there, so 2022 Cabrera might have been in the mix, too.

That's a good point, 3B was the only unsettled position.  Sparky didn't like HoJo's glove, and Brookens didn't hit with the power that they wanted, and Marty Castillo couldn't hit at all.  So Jeimer if playing well might have been in the mix.

I wanted them to trade Herndon after 1984 and put HoJo in left.