08/28/2022 2:35 EDT Detroit Tigers at Texas Rangers

casimir

3 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Yeah, glad to finally see this...on a good team these would be the second half of the lineup with at least 4 guys better than them.

Harold is the one that surprises me. I really thought playing more would end up with him being exposed by more pitchers, but he's raised his game.

3 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

They have got to pay him a bonus to retire and be an Ambassador or whatever.

Obviously won’t happen. Miggy will not take one penny less than Papa Doc committed the organization to paying him, and who can blame him?

The organization is also not going to simply release Miggy perhaps because they believe the blowback from the fans will be too great to withstand. Whether that’s actually true may be immaterial. Miggy is on record as wanting to play next season, which forces the Tigers’ hand, and the easiest way for them to handle it is suck it up and find ways to minimize the damage of having him on the roster all next year, which can probably already be written off as a lost season.

This is the price we have to pay of having an owner who wanted to win no matter the cost, but had no real idea how to do that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Obviously won’t happen. Miggy will not take one penny less than Papa Doc committed the organization to paying him, and who can blame him?

The organization is also not going to simply release Miggy perhaps because they believe the blowback from the fans will be too great to withstand. Whether that’s actually true may be immaterial. Miggy is on record as wanting to play next season, which forces the Tigers’ hand, and the easiest way for them to handle it is suck it up and find ways to minimize the damage of having him on the roster all next year, which can probably already be written off as a lost season.

This is the price we have to pay of having an owner who wanted to win no matter the cost, but had no real idea how to do that.

I am saying they need to pay a bonus which would be whatever he is owed plus more to make him retire.

I know ownership wont pay him what is required to make him retire but they should.

Edited by sabretooth

I think if they could privately get a deal done like that and have it sound like Miggy is retiring on his own I think they'd strongly consider it. I don't think they would want to make it public though so it comes across like they are "forcing" a beloved player to retire. Especially with the team in the state it's in. I can just imagine the backlash from fans complaining about forcing him to retire when we run out a bunch of scrubs to play at a bunch of other positions.

Also I think it would have to be an outright retirement and not a buyout per say where he could go and play for another team. I don't think they want to risk the thought as insanely low as it may be of him going to another team and having an Albert Pujols like resurrection, that would definitely be suicide for management in terms of P.R. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

15 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

. I don't think they want to risk the thought as insanely low as it may be of him going to another team and having an Albert Pujols like resurrection, that would definitely be suicide for management in terms of P.R. 

From what we hear, they have exhausted all medical options on the knee. But then again, despite our assumption that players are always getting the best medical advice available, we know sometimes they are not (Magglio having been an example). Or there may be some 50/50 option Cabrera has refused that he might change his mind about that might work. Still I would judge the odds of any of that to be vanishingly low. He'll probably have to have it replaced before he reaches 50.

31 minutes ago, JackPine said:

I clicked away in the 7th, geez that got close!

That’s exactly what I did. Walked awaynin 7th, counted it as a win, then forgot about it. An hour ago remembered for check to make 100% sure, saw the final, lol. 

Jays got outscored 22-3 in a 3-game sweep at home to the Angels. Love to see that. 

31 minutes ago, JackPine said:

4 hours ago, sabretooth said:

It would take some bravery to confront the Miggy thing, but yeah, having Miggy chew up an spot on the 26 man roster is just insane at this point.

I’m not sure there’s much bravery to it.  He is no longer a baseball player.  He’s a hack.  He’s a below 100 OPS+ for the past 7 seasons (6 1/2 if you want to asterisk the 2020 season).  He’s played in 4 games of the last 13 game days with 3 off days tucked in there.  So he’s been healthy enough to swing a bat in 4 games in the last 16 days.  His career is hall of fame.  His current status is a joke.

Patrick Corbin of the Nationals picked up a win today. Why is that newsworthy? Well it's the first Nationals Starting pitcher to earn a win in 43 games! I know starting pitching usage has changed but still it's hard to fathom going over a quarter of a season without a starting pitcher getting a single win. 

3 hours ago, sabretooth said:

I am saying they need to pay a bonus which would be whatever he is owed plus more to make him retire.

I know ownership wont pay him what is required to make him retire but they should.

They’re on the hook for the salary next season.  The contract is what it is.  If he doesn’t want to retire, so be it.

They can decide to put him on the IL if he isn’t physically suited to swing a bat 3-5 times a game.  He doesn’t have to be on the active roster taking up space with a bad knee.  It might be a PR hit, but what part of the fan base gets annoyed by it?  How many people are going to buy tickets next season with the hopes of seeing him play?

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Patrick Corbin of the Nationals picked up a win today. Why is that newsworthy? Well it's the first Nationals Starting pitcher to earn a win in 43 games! I know starting pitching usage has changed but still it's hard to fathom going over a quarter of a season without a starting pitcher getting a single win. 

On the opposite end of that pitching rotation spectrum, Verlander left his game early today.  I’m pretty sure that the talking heads said it was the 1st time in the last 41 games that a Houston starter has failed to go at least 5 innings.