Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

32 minutes ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Ukraine 'tried to ASSASSINATE Putin using drone loaded with explosives that crashed just miles from industrial estate dictator was due to visit near Moscow', German media claims

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12019935/Ukraine-tried-ASSASSINATE-Putin-using-drone-loaded-explosives-German-media-claims.html

I don't see why I should be horrified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, pfife said:

I dont think Musk would be eligible per constitution, born in South Africa

I agree with you, but even setting that aside, too many people know too much about Musk to give him a majority to elect him president. Granted, I thought everyone knew all about Trump in 2016, too, and I was wrong then, but I don't think I'm wrong this time, and I think we have seven years of Trump to thank for opening people's eyes.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I agree with you, but even setting that aside, too many people know too much about Musk to give him a majority to elect him president. Granted, I thought everyone knew all about Trump in 2016, too, and I was wrong then, but I don't think I'm wrong this time, and I think we have seven years of Trump to thank for opening people's eyes.

The problem is that people *thought* they knew a lot about Trump from watching in "Reality" TV, but of course reality TV is thoroughly scripted, massaged and air-brushed, so Trump got the double benefit of being able present himself just as 'falsely' as any actor playing a role, as all the while the hollywood appartus of the 'Apprentice' - as do all 'reality' shows - continually promulgated a fantasy about its reality.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

Musk could absolutely win if he were eligibile.  Trump even more so.  Triump made a fool of himself for 4 years and still got a huge number number of votes in 2020.  He could also win again and I don't get the general feeling here that he couldn't.  Maybe my faith in humanity is not strong enough.    

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Musk could absolutely win if he were eligibile.  Trump even more so.  Triump made a fool of himself for 4 years and still got a huge number number of votes in 2020.  He could also win again and I don't get the general feeling here that he couldn't.  Maybe my faith in humanity is not strong enough.    

It's not impossible.  His place of birth might be the only thing that would prevent it.  Will his cult following grow enough to demand an amendment?

But he didn't win. That's the point I'm making. He skated in once, but he didn't do it again, he won't be able to do it again (unless he can figure out how to steal the election), and Musk would never be able to do it. I see no way someone who is disgusted with Trump—which is most people—come back around and say, gee, I was wrong about Trump, I like the cut of his jib after all.

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

Musk has his fans that are bizonkers.   Its one of those things that appeals to a certain non-religious scientific person who thinks the highest aspiration of man is interplanetary travel. 

That would never be a majority of people who would vote for him and elect him as president. Ordinary people who want nothing to do with a guy like that—which is most people—would have to be drugged to do it.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

But he didn't win. That's the point I'm making. He skated in once, but he didn't do it again, he won't be able to do it again (unless he can figure out how to steal the election), and Musk would never be able to do it. I see no way someone who is disgusted with Trump—which is most people—come back around and say, gee, I was wrong about Trump, I like the cut of his jib after all.

If we go into a deep recession or if inflatuion is still high, it will be blamed on Biden and his opponet could win.  

If we go into a deep recession or if inflatuion is still high, it will be blamed on Biden and his opponet could win.  

i know you didn't spell this word but I thought about this video when I saw your typo

the actress Kay Lenz in this video was a smoke show.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

That would never be a majority of people who would vote for him and elect him as president. Ordinary people who want nothing to do with a guy like that—which is most people—would have to be drugged to do it.

yes...I don't think there would be a constituency for him even if he was a US citizen and eligible.   He's made his case a lot worse since Twitter. 

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

He didn't win largely because of his association with Covid.  If Covid never happened, I believe he'd be President now.  Most people are disgusted with Trump personally, but might think there are economic benefits to his being president.  I remembers polls during his presidency showing that even a fairly large percentage of independents though he did a good job on the economy.  I don't think Presidents impact the economy much, but it doesn't matter what I think.  

Russia has been making gradual gains in the city of Avdiivka in the Donetsk region. Non-stop bombardment has pushed back Ukrainian troops in many parts of the city. Avdiivka, which is just 90 kilometres south of Bakhmut, is the new target of the Russian army. Relentless attacks have turned the city into a place from post-apocalyptic movies, resulting in a nearly full shutdown. But there are a few citizens who have refused to leave despite the bombings. On April 18, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky visited the city of Avdiivka. Notably, the Russian attacks on the city have only intensified since then.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Who benefited 

I would look at this from the standpoint of Russian internal processes. The "West is all against Russia"  is central to Putins entire narrative structure. It was becoming clear that the pipeline had little chance to produce $$ for Russia because stopping gas flow was becoming an imperative for both sides. Given that, that last political value he could salvage on the home front would be to  sabotage it, blame the West or Ukraine and take it as another example of Western biligerance againt Russia.  And I can imagine that when Putin was weighing options he asked the question "but if we blow it up now can we fix it later" his minions certainly assured him - based on Russia's underwater capabilities -  that  it could be done - without having given proper consideration (if any) to the damage salt water intrustion would have done by the time rolled around for a repair to be attempted.