Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

If you give in to Putin now, and concede Ukrainian territory, he will obliterate the rest of Ukraine within the next 12 years.  It will all be Russia.  So the only question that matters is, do you care?

Concur 100% and the "do you care" part should extend to:

• do you care if Europe is a strong, stable security partner.
  • do you care if America represents any kind of values whatsoever -- particularly the kind purported by and sung about by dudes who drive pickup trucks and claim to love Jesus -- red state America, i am looking in your general direction. Hint: rhymes with Lee Greenwood's proud to be an Schmerican
  • do you care that a notoriously bad actor Putin is emboldened to control western political systems via his influence operations in the horseshoe ends of the right and left wings of various political parties

I could do more but i got to get to work.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2024 at 1:19 AM, Jim Cowan said:

If you give in to Putin now, and concede Ukrainian territory, he will obliterate the rest of Ukraine within the next 12 years.  It will all be Russia.  So the only question that matters is, do you care?

Well, right now you're probably right.  But when Russia was being completely mocked on the world stage daily it looks like you wouldn't have had to concede any Ukrainian territory (pre 2021).  And again, Ukraine said they would only do it with western security agreements, so the US and other major European countries would have had to sign protection treaties, which I think would have been easier to do back then.

On 1/5/2024 at 6:40 AM, romad1 said:

Concur 100% and the "do you care" part should extend to:

• do you care that a notoriously bad actor Putin is emboldened to control western political systems via his influence operations in the horseshoe ends of the right and left wings of various political parties

I feel like this is the main reason the war hawks enjoy watching this war drag on.  It continues to weaken Putin.  That is a good thing and no one should be ashamed to admit it, but is the cost of using Ukraine as a pawn worth it, that's my only question. 

The Lloyd Austin hospitalization situation...smdh.  If you are in the hospital because you have a bunion, that's one thing.  This guy is navigating a serious set of global crisis and needs to be in the game.  Appears it was a routine medical procedure that went awry.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

The Lloyd Austin hospitalization situation...smdh.  If you are in the hospital because you have a bunion, that's one thing.  This guy is navigating a serious set of global crisis and needs to be in the game.  Appears it was a routine medical procedure that went awry.

You would think that when a high ranking command officer does anything involving anesthesia or even could result in their loss of ability to communicate either physically or mentally, (basically anytime they walk into a hospital)  that they should be assigned a patient advocate to let the chain of command know something unexpected happened. If that procedure didn't exist it soon should.....

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

You would think that when a high ranking command officer does anything involving anesthesia or even could result in their loss of ability to communicate either physically or mentally, (basically anytime they walk into a hospital)  that they should be assigned a patient advocate to let the chain of command know something unexpected happened. If that procedure didn't exist it soon should.....

That is the process.  His staff screwed up for real.   

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Greaaaat … I have a routine medical procedure next month. Thanks, pal. 😏

On 1/5/2024 at 5:40 AM, romad1 said:
  • do you care if America represents any kind of values whatsoever -- particularly the kind purported by and sung about by dudes who drive pickup trucks and claim to love Jesus -- red state America, i am looking in your general direction. Hint: rhymes with Lee Greenwood's proud to be an Schmerican

I think I can answer this one: no, they do not care whether America represents any kind of values based on internationalism. I would actually bet they care more that America doesn’t represent those, because America First, Last, and Always.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think I can answer this one: no, they do not care whether America represents any kind of values based on internationalism. I would actually bet they care more that America doesn’t represent those, because America First, Last, and Always.

these people were around in 1941 and ascendant in the GOP up until Pearl Harbor.  The post-war international order was formed because former isolationists woke up.  

5 hours ago, romad1 said:

So, somehow Iran got a proxy war with the West like we have with Russia.  Iran is smarter than Russia.

Except...

They're losing just as bad as Russia (Hamas close to being wiped out as a viable entity and they've at the very least lost Gaza; Hezbollah won't escalate above a few missiles sent into northern Israel, just to keep 'em honest; and the Houthi's had missiles rained down upon them last night... I don't expect much more than whimpering from the Houthi's or Iran at this point...).

Russia is obviously larger, more powerful, and able to withstand more... and 99.9% of what they've lost is in Ukraine, not in Russia proper. Although that does include a massive amount of lost military prestige, equipment and personnel...

Who has lost more in these two wars?

Probably Russia. 

And Hamas (not Iran).

I would say maybe if China stipulated this -- in the event of their invasion of Taiwan -- as the basis for their support and weapons deals.  I would also say...with what?  Russia is so weak from the war that unless they go to full Soviet era mobilization they couldn't.

Edited by romad1