Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I suppose. Are there still enough 'believers' left in Russia 80yr later? The men who ran WWII for the CCCP were born before the revolution. Maybe they didn't like Stalin but they still thought they were building/defending something. How much is Russia today a world of grey men by comparison? If Putin can whip up WWII kinds of motivation to serve the Rodina, maybe he deserves more credit. Granted he certainly tries to in evoke the  WWII mythos at every turn.

Dictatorship has its own momentum.   Fear is the motivator.

Vladdie making moves in NK and Vietnam.  Hopefully the latter is more performative.  Was hoping Vietnam would join the anti-Xi coalition more aggressively.  Russian and India seemingly still being more warm than India's recent hostility to China would indicate.

Apparently some US oligarch had a list of reasons why Trump/Putin was better than Biden.  It kicked up a bit of a flurry on the nevertrump twitter side.

The guy who wrote the best rebuttal so far is this guy.   Thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Apparently some US oligarch had a list of reasons why Trump/Putin was better than Biden.  It kicked up a bit of a flurry on the nevertrump twitter side.

The guy who wrote the best rebuttal so far is this guy.   Thread.

A lot of bot feedback on this post, too—Elon is going after him

• Like 1

Gonna be some interesting fallout from this. 

Thomas C. Theiner on X: "North Korea is sending troops to Ukraine?? Nice! Ukraine is gonna get EVERYTHING South Korea's defense industry can produce that shreds North Koreans! South Korean weapons >>>>>>> North Korean/russian cannon fodder https://t.co/o3QFb0KI6E" / X (twitter.com)

I can imagine the NK troops who get captured and then fed, clothed and catch a glimmer of a world with more freedom than they have ever known (yes, in a Ukrainian POW camp). 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Gonna be some interesting fallout from this. 

Thomas C. Theiner on X: "North Korea is sending troops to Ukraine?? Nice! Ukraine is gonna get EVERYTHING South Korea's defense industry can produce that shreds North Koreans! South Korean weapons >>>>>>> North Korean/russian cannon fodder https://t.co/o3QFb0KI6E" / X (twitter.com)

I can imagine the NK troops who get captured and then fed, clothed and catch a glimmer of a world with more freedom than they have ever known (yes, in a Ukrainian POW camp). 

Any North Korean troops the see happen to see the west will never be allowed back into N. Korean society. They've seen the Stalin model - you bury those people.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Any North Korean troops the see happen to see the west will never be allowed back into N. Korean society. They've seen the Stalin model - you bury those people.

For whatever reason our kid's HS has had a bunch of NK asylum seekers lecture the student body over the years.  We do have a massive Korean population here in western Fairfax county, VA.  The stories he's heard from these people are remarkable.  My wife got me a very interesting novel "The Orphanmaster's Son" which described the bizonkers system.  

For a while I had access to North Korean TV in one of my jobs.   Very little joy in those broadcasts. Their soap operas were all about struggle and serving nobly and at great sacrifice, the Juche state.  Everyone was in uniform.   Meanwhile, Cuban TV was delightfully latin: music, baseball, very attractive ladies in the soap operas. 

I have heard that the excesses of the Russian "illegals" programs are dwarfed by what North Koreans do to their people.  I cannot give details. 

Basically...North Korea is a weird, weird place.  

Romad, looking for an opinion, do you think Kim believes his troops would help and that they will be protected by the Russian army?  Just wondering if Kim actually thinks they will return and he can tout that as a triumph or if he knows he's sending them to slaughter but it's worth it to get closer to Russia.