Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Incredible from the perspective of 2014 or any point during the Soviet era.

There is an interesting history piece on the CSIS web site about the history of the Muscovy elite’s fixation with expropriating and thus voiding Ukrainian nationality going back to Moscovy’s emergence after the fall of the Mongol Khanate. Putin comes out of a looooong tradition. 

Edited by gehringer_2

55 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There is an interesting history piece on the CSIS web site about the history of the Muscovy elite’s fixation with expropriating and thus voiding Ukrainian nationality going back to Moscovy’s emergence after the fall of the Mongol Khanate. Putin comes out of a looooong tradition. 

I can't find it...do you have a link?

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'd missed this  - apparently the more dead Russian Oligarchs.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/two-russian-oligarchs-found-dead-one-day-apart-alongside-wives-and-children/

One family murder/suicide - tragedy. Two or three - definitely conspiracy.

“Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action

Ian Flemming

• Like 1

Can I just say that the western press did an absolutely terrible job covering this election?

Marine Le Pen did close the gap some by the runoff in head to head polling, but first round polling underestimated Macron and Macron gained a good 5-7 points in polls in the interregnum between the first round and second round.

I know I will get the usual comments about complacency and whatnot, but once things started moving against her after round one, her goose was cooked. Yet you wouldn't have known it from how the Times covered it.

He gave himself a monstrous black mark on Russian funding with the invasion of Ukraine.

Now anyone accused of taking Russian blood money will suffer in elections/ polls/ popularity.

That's a general statement... so I know there will still be some supporters of hard right wing politics/ fascism, etc...

But I think, in general, support of Russia/ fascism/ taking Russian money is going to be in a huge downswing over the next 5-10 years...

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

He gave himself a monstrous black mark on Russian funding with the invasion of Ukraine.

Now anyone accused of taking Russian blood money will suffer in elections/ polls/ popularity.

That's a general statement... so I know there will still be some supporters of hard right wing politics/ fascism, etc...

But I think, in general, support of Russia/ fascism/ taking Russian money is going to be in a huge downswing over the next 5-10 years...

The German SPD is not hard right:  just controlled by one of Vladdie's operatives.

But the general principle applies for sure.