Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

a LOT of drum banging about Putin declaring war or try to go to a general mobilization. I have to wonder how much of this is Western Psyops aimed into Russia and how much is serious intel analysis. I guess we find out in ~6 days.

Mark Dmitri down as a "NO" on general mobilization 

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Mark Dmitri down as a "NO" on general mobilization 

This is all very sound, but his caveats at the end are also spot on. Maybe the one quibble is that if Putin does continue to be misled by his minions about the Russian army's success level, the correct inference would be that he would remain less likely to think he has to up the ante.

There is also one situation I have not heard much discussion about, which is what does Putin do with solders whose tours are ending? This could be pretty tricky. Does he keep them mobilized? That won't go over very well. But can he let them go home? Their knowledge of the truth would be a terribly infectious agent to re-admit into the population. Stalin (Putin's lodestar) sent thousands of Red Army vets who had been into Europe into the Gulag to prevent that very thing.

The other bottom line is that it really is important for the Ukrainians be able to push the Russians back at least to the pre-Feb lines and that won't be easy without more effective air power.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

That would be called kidnapping and holding hostages.

I'm sure Putin/ Lavrov are calling it something else...

(I know what they're calling it... but we all knew it was BS before that article even posted...)

Between this and the earlier revelation of Chad Wolf blocking the Russian Trump DHS report, the lesson I’m taking away from this is that the veneer of civilized behavior really is very thin as long as there is no universally agreed-upon enforcement mechanism in place to discourage and punish malfeasance.

Just now, chasfh said:

the veneer of civilized behavior really is very thin

You live long enough to see enough countries collapse into chaos in your own lifetime and you begin to realize how true this is. Even if you are one that wants to tell yourself "well, *our* institutions are strong" I have a hard time understanding that when questions come up you are not on the side of making them even stronger. Can't hurt.

Ok,

thread

My impression about events of late:  The Ukrainians are trying to clear the area around Kharkiv to relieve the pressure on the large population center there and then drive into the side of the Russian attempt to break out of Izium.  I'm hearing that casualties among the Ukrainians are pretty dispiriting even though they have way more espirt de corp than the Russians.  

Ukraine needs a win on the battlefield to break the Russians current efforts.

• Thanks 1

To date: I have yet to donate to any Ukraine charity besides the St. Javelin t-shirt I bought.  I think its high time I gave to Jose Andreas' World Central Kitchen and some others like the Red Cross.  We are limited in our house from giving due to some stringent US Government financial disclosures my wife and I live under.   This made me wish I could fund James Vasquez and his like.

Lets see:

a)Russia is Ukraine's savoir because the Pole are just waiting to oppress them. 

b)Every measure of oppression is on the table for Ukrainians that oppose us.

hmmm......

The Muscovy Imperialist elites are such and odd combination of cruel, brutal, and stupid.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, romad1 said:

Steve Schmidt loses his schmit tonight on twitter about the 2008 campaign and Meghan McCain.   The 2008 campaign's ties to Russia are not something I knew about.

One heck of a rant...a bit of tweeting while drunk there?