Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

12 minutes ago, romad1 said:

What annoys me most about his music is the corporately social acceptability of it.   Rock music which was born of rebellion used to create fascistic anthems.   Then again, art can be whatever art wants to be.  Its all about creating reaction.  In fine art its designed to get rich people to think they are significant and in pop art its all about getting poor people to feel a little bit of anything that will get them to distribute their limited wealth on a mass scale.

yeah Bon Jovi very soon entered into the safe space of music.  They were probably the forbearers of teh bands you'd hear on the Sirius channel Pop Rocks that my wife listens to.... the Maroon 5's of the world.   Their early stuff had the offensive sex and girls element to be offensive. 

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

yeah Bon Jovi very soon entered into the safe space of music.  They were probably the forbearers of teh bands you'd hear on the Sirius channel Pop Rocks that my wife listens to.... the Maroon 5's of the world.   Their early stuff had the offensive sex and girls element to be offensive. 

A lot of good bands discarded the art for the money. When that happens, that's fine, there's other music I like better elsewhere.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

What annoys me most about his music is the corporately social acceptability of it.   Rock music which was born of rebellion used to create fascistic anthems.   Then again, art can be whatever art wants to be.  Its all about creating reaction.  In fine art its designed to get rich people to think they are significant and in pop art its all about getting poor people to feel a little bit of anything that will get them to distribute their limited wealth on a mass scale.

For the longest time it felt to me that the only dude with any fame that was acting not corporately socially acceptable was Kanye.   I loved him for it.   Now..... yeah he's crazy

54 minutes ago, romad1 said:

wow

I think I believe these numbers.

This isn't difficult at all.

10K dead, at least (probably more)

15-20K at least, wounded or incapacitated

5K plus? Surrendered. This is the biggest unknown as I haven't seen any documented numbers here. Just stories.

But that's a 30K starting point, with a high degree likelihood of larger numbers... out of 150-190K that entered Ukraine (I don't know if the actual entered-combat number has been verified?)

More US troops to Eastern Europe.   All to the good.  The more people from the urban badlands and rural hollers get to see a different culture and understand the importance of collective security the better.  Better for both societies here and abroad. 

3 hours ago, pfife said:

I think we might be really polar opposites in terms of tunes.  Livin' on a Prayer is a top 5 tune for me.

Ooh ooh ooh—let me guess the other four!

• Don’t Stop Believin’
  • Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Heart of Rock and Roll
  • We Built this City

How close am I? 😉

45 minutes ago, romad1 said:

More US troops to Eastern Europe.   All to the good.  The more people from the urban badlands and rural hollers get to see a different culture and understand the importance of collective security the better.  Better for both societies here and abroad. 

I think the Rural Hollers already get it, they own 75% of firearms in U.S. I would imagine......

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I think the Rural Hollers already get it, they own 75% of firearms in U.S. I would imagine......

Hypothesis:  the end of the Cold War deployments to places like Germany was bad for our civics.  When the people on the lower-end of the economic spectrum did not have the outlet of seeing other successful societies they turned inward and weird.

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

Hypothesis:  the end of the Cold War deployments to places like Germany was bad for our civics.  When the people on the lower-end of the economic spectrum did not have the outlet of seeing other successful societies they turned inward and weird.

Like maybe hanging around German Skin heads weird?

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I flipped a coin between “Sweet Child o’ Mine” and “We Built This City” … 😅

Too hard to think about top 5 lists.  I used to think "Everyday I write the Book" was the perfect pop song and then I just got sick of Elvis Costello.