Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

13 hours ago, romad1 said:

US quietly planning potential responses in case Putin takes extreme step in Ukraine

Sure, I agree, and we always have to prepare for any contingency. I’m just wondering, what’s the red line step? Can you proceed up an educated guess?

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Sure, I agree, and we always have to prepare for any contingency. I’m just wondering, what’s the red line step? Can you proceed up an educated guess?

At this point Biden has stopped short of explicitly laying out responses.  His instinct is to avoid US forces being engaged at all cost.  However, he did state that we would respond.  I think he's forced his own hand with the requirement to actually engage militarily if Russia escalates to the use of WMDs. 

12 minutes ago, romad1 said:

At this point Biden has stopped short of explicitly laying out responses.  His instinct is to avoid US forces being engaged at all cost.  However, he did state that we would respond.  I think he's forced his own hand with the requirement to actually engage militarily if Russia escalates to the use of WMDs. 

Then it looks to me as though that puts us in a super difficult position, because Putin’s is slaughtering Ukrainian civilians, and we simply cannot respond in by doing the same with Russian civilians. And just about any military action we undertake would put civilians at mortal risk—otherwise we risk losing support from the rest of the world. And US don’t necessarily have a very good track record recently of avoiding civilian collateral damage. 

So it seems like there’s a very fine needle we have to thread here, and it’s gonna be a challenge to make Putin take notice and pause without our having to play in his particular sandbox.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Then it looks to me as though that puts us in a super difficult position, because Putin’s is slaughtering Ukrainian civilians, and we simply cannot respond in by doing the same with Russian civilians. And just about any military action we undertake would put civilians at mortal risk—otherwise we risk losing support from the rest of the world. And US don’t necessarily have a very good track record recently of avoiding civilian collateral damage. 

So it seems like there’s a very fine needle we have to thread here, and it’s gonna be a challenge to make Putin take notice and pause without our having to play in his particular sandbox.

I think the responses we'd take would be to use our Olympian advantages in PGMs to take out Russian WMD units. 

• Like 1

Biden tells the 82nd Airborne they are going to Ukraine.  "You will see when you get there"  he says.  This babbling baffoon is going to start WWIII because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing or saying.  The only thing keeping him from being removed from office is Harris' incompetence.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

If you can...watch this video on the biggest screen you can.  This comment about it is pretty accurate snark.  These guys look like somebody took all the cookies.

I had not seen the Putin Microphone video before.

Apparently Vladdie doesn't want to be close to humans of any type.

11 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/26/biden-says-putin-cannot-remain-in-power-in-sweeping-speech-on-russian-invasion-of-ukraine.html

Damn!  I mean, we all feel that way, but this is pretty bold to say.  I know many wondered if his 'Putin is a war criminal' was off the cuff, this comes in a scripted speech.

Right - at this point this is clearly not accidental. Biden oftimes speaks off the cuff, his admin doesn't do policy off the cuff, so for whatever reason they have decided to take this tack. Curious. I think history would argue personalizing international conflict is usually unproductive. I guess we'll see if there is some logic behind the strategy or whether they are losing their sense of Real Politick.

Edited by gehringer_2

Biden has a long history of dropping off the cuff remarks at the end of speeches. The White House is already walking back this one hard.

Personally it seems like an incredibly stupid thing to say. Aggressive to no benefit and overshadowing everything else that he said.

40 minutes ago, shorts said:

Biden has a long history of dropping off the cuff remarks at the end of speeches. The White House is already walking back this one hard.

Personally it seems like an incredibly stupid thing to say. Aggressive to no benefit and overshadowing everything else that he said.

The White House has to "walk back" yet another Biden senile comment. Its the second time in two days. The world is laughing at our leadership. Its sad that someone in his condition would be put in this position.  His words are going to get us in a major war and he doesn't even know what he's saying. 

2 minutes ago, Archie said:

The White House has to "walk back" yet another Biden senile comment. Its the second time in two days. The world is laughing at our leadership. Its sad that someone in his condition would be put in this position.  His words are going to get us in a major war and he doesn't even know what he's saying. 

Meanwhile in reality the opposite is happening

It's not senility, it's just who he has been for his whole political career.  I think he's done a good job over the past month in a difficult time. This was a emotional mistake though, as evidenced by an immediate, hard walk back by White House officials.

• Thanks 1