Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

15 minutes ago, shorts said:

It's not senility, it's just who he has been for his whole political career.  I think he's done a good job over the past month in a difficult time. This was a emotional mistake though, as evidenced by an immediate, hard walk back by White House officials.

I don't think it was based in emotion or a mistake.   

1 hour ago, shorts said:

Biden has a long history of dropping off the cuff remarks at the end of speeches. The White House is already walking back this one hard.

Personally it seems like an incredibly stupid thing to say. Aggressive to no benefit and overshadowing everything else that he said.

I would've said exactly the same thing, if not worse.

In which universe should war criminals like Milosevic, Mussolini, Hitler, and Putin not be executed/ exterminated?

With prejudice.

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Shall we root for the Azeris here just to hurt Putin more?

I think Georgia should also take back the two breakaway regions stolen by Russia.

Right now.

And I would love it if Japan militarily took over the several "Kuril" islands that the Soviet Union took at the end of WWII. They were Japanese throughout history, I believe. Wipe all Russian forces off of those islands.

I'm in the mood to challenge Putin in every way possible. Let's send Ukraine all the MIG's from Poland and Rumania that they want, right now.

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My thought was maybe the Ukrainian missile attack on Sevastopol today freaked some of the Russians out.

I didn't hear about that.... Been busy working all day....

I know they damaged several Russian amphibious landing ships yesterday, with anti-ship rockets... but I thought that was in Mariupol...

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

They were Japanese throughout history, I believe. Wipe all Russian forces off of those islands.

I don't know if I necessarily want to see another conflict start in Asia, but I would certainly love to see the Japanese with a least enough of a feint to build up their forces and force the Russians to keep more troops tied down.

PS: One more thing:

Kick Russia off the UN Security Council, right now.

They never filed the correct paperwork. Make them do it. Then the US can hold off allowing them back on in perpetuity... until they change their fucking fascist leadership and prove they will respect other countries and not shit all over them.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if I necessarily want to see another conflict start in Asia, but I would certainly love to see the Japanese with a least enough of a feint to build up their forces and force the Russians to keep more troops tied down.

At least enough to make Putin shit his pants.

I'm not certain that's good enough (for me)... but realistically, yours is the more correct position. In some way/ shape/ or form I would like the Japanese to take advantage of the current situation and not just sit back diplomatically...

One thing I really, really hope comes out of this is that the Chinese, who may yet still have enough functioning governmental institutions not already tied to Xi, see the inevitable end of the path which one man cult of personality rule will take them down and cut down Xi rather than holding the door for the eastern version of a Putin wannabe to walk through. Granted, it's a faint hope.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

One thing I really, really hope comes out of this is that the Chinese, who may yet still have enough functioning governmental institutions not already tied to Xi, see the inevitable end of the path which one man cult of personality rule will take them down and cut down Xi rather than holding the door for the eastern version of a Putin wannabe to walk through. Granted, it's a faint hope.

I'm hoping exactly this as well..

We'll see what they do/ or do not learn from this.

I hope it's not more belligerence.

It doesn't bother me "China Rising"... but do they rise up as a belligerent nation (their current path) or as a nation looking to benefit the entire world with whatever finance/ expertise/ leadership that they can. I don't know that they'll be able to find their way from one path to the other...

But I hope (however faintly) that you are right.

22 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would've said exactly the same thing, if not worse.

In which universe should war criminals like Milosevic, Mussolini, Hitler, and Putin not be executed/ exterminated?

With prejudice.

Its another case where Biden is saying something that 80+% of Americans are thinking, but that as leader of the free world, you need to stay above it.

That said, I dont know that it's a massive error either. I dont think it changes much in the grand scheme of things.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Its another case where Biden is saying something that 80+% of Americans are thinking, but that as leader of the free world, you need to stay above it.

That said, I dont know that it's a massive error either. I dont think it changes much in the grand scheme of things.

I think it was perfectly fine what he said, and it needed to be said, on the World Stage, not just in the minds of people.

And he didn't go as far as what Graham said, basically, "He needs to be assassinated."

I'm not even making a complaint that Graham shouldn't have said that (he shouldn't have...); but that is a bridge too far for President Biden, and he didn't go that far.

"Cannot remain the Russian President" is a truism; and not an outrageous one for Biden to voice. IMO.

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think it was perfectly fine what he said, and it needed to be said, on the World Stage, not just in the minds of people.

And he didn't go as far as what Graham said, basically, "He needs to be assassinated."

I'm not even making a complaint that Graham shouldn't have said that (he shouldn't have...); but that is a bridge too far for President Biden, and he didn't go that far.

"Cannot remain the Russian President" is a truism; and not an outrageous one for Biden to voice. IMO.

I understand. In the grand scheme of things, its something for Biden Derangement Syndrome types to latch onto but isn't the end of the world.

In the grand scheme of things, he's done a good job... the world is united (ie. not laughing) in opposition to the dictator. We are giving the Ukrainians what they need to fight back. We are hitting back with sanctions that bite. 

Given that, I can live with the occasional rhetorical mistake. And I dont think anything that Biden has said to date has done anything to push us closer to a world war...

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I understand. In the grand scheme of things, its something for Biden Derangement Syndrome types to latch onto but isn't the end of the world.

In the grand scheme of things, he's done a good job... the world is united (ie. not laughing) in opposition to the dictator. We are giving the Ukrainians some of what they need to fight back. We are hitting back with sanctions that bite. 

I can live with the occasional rhetorical mistake.

I think to the degree that the West can successfully personalize the war and keep naming it as "Putin's War" that is a good strategy in terms of value of whatever news penetrates into Russia. Beyond that that - we'll see.

• Thanks 1

The whining and whatever from the Fox News types reminds me of the scene in The Crown where his finagling and scheming cabinet members are trying to force Churchill out for being a little off his game and they react with glee when Churchill begins his eulogy for the King with a slow halting beginning and then are horrified when Churchill knocks it out of the park.