Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I walk up to her, smiling, I introduce myself, gently put my hand on her shoulder...and wham!  I'm flat on my back on the cement floor gasping for air.

we should be so lucky to be slammed to the floor by such a beauty 

14 hours ago, romad1 said:

Making common cause with insurrectionists

Have you heard the latest unhinged “plan” percolating in wackadoodle land?

• Republicans crush Democrats in elections this November.
  • Republicans name Donald Trump as Speaker of the House, since nothing in the Constitution stipulates the Speaker even be a member of Congress.
  • Republicans engineer the impeachment, conviction and removal of Biden and Harris.
  • Trump ascends to presidency as next in line to the throne.

From the noggin of Matt Gaetz … natch.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Haven't heard much from John Mearsheimer and his supporters lately.  

To be clear, I think people have been somewhat harsh on Mearsheimer, there may be a discussion to be had about how we got to this point, even if I don't agree with his view that it's all US driven.... but, contrary to the "this guy was right the entire time" line, he's been pretty wrong on the actual invasion and everything that has transpired since.

Putin did do a full scale invasion, Putin did try to take Kyiv, Putin's aims went beyond theoretical NATO membership for Ukraine, and the cultural and linguistic ties to Russia didn't cause Ukrainians to lay down arms... if anything, from what has been reported, it has only caused Ukrainians (particularly those in the east) to reevaluate their views on Russia. 

EDIT: And on the last point, Yaroslav Trofimov (who has reported for WSJ on the ground in Ukraine) was asked about that question on a Reddit AMA yesterday, and, IIRC, he seemed to suggested that the damage that Russia has done will take multiple generations to fix.... on top of Putin needing to be gone.

Edited by mtutiger

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

To be clear, I think people have been somewhat harsh on Mearsheimer, there may be a discussion to be had about how we got to this point, even if I don't agree with his view that it's all US driven.... but, contrary to the "this guy was right the entire time" line, he's been pretty wrong on the actual invasion and everything that has transpired since.

Putin did do a full scale invasion, Putin did try to take Kyiv, Putin's aims went beyond theoretical NATO membership for Ukraine, and the cultural and linguistic ties to Russia didn't cause Ukrainians to lay down arms... if anything, from what has been reported, it has only caused Ukrainians (particularly those in the east) to reevaluate their views on Russia. 

EDIT: And on the last point, Yaroslav Trofimov (who has reported for WSJ on the ground in Ukraine) was asked about that question on a Reddit AMA yesterday, and, IIRC, he seemed to suggested that the damage that Russia has done will take multiple generations to fix.... on top of Putin needing to be gone.

I used to play the drinking game where I pretended to be a fancy philosopher of history.  I'd ask, is history linear or circular? 

Whiggish thinking people of the Candide variety assume that everything is heading in the right direction.   Always on an upward trajectory to the upper right corner of the chart of goodness. 

I'm not that.  I think history is a a sine wave.   That sine wave is caused by evil men with evil lusts for power and glory.  Its also caused by the weakness of the common man who fears the wolves at the door and refuses to take adequate precautions against the wolves by banding together in communal security.   

Anywho.  NATO is a force for good.  Fuck anyone who thinks otherwise.  Ukraine would be in a heck of a lot better shape today than a month ago if it was in NATO. 

• Thanks 1