Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

19 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Unless we (NATO countries, maybe even the US) can get them the MIG's that they want, and tanks and APC's and mobile artillery, they won't be able to make any significant gains against the Russians... Whatever land Russia is able to take, they will most likely be able to hold.

the level of support from Europe and the US is certainly a key determinant and what it will be is largely still unknown. It's not hard to imagine the US/Euros pulling back from the possibility of Ukraine actually dealing the Russians an outright territorial defeat -despite what is turning into a non-zero possibility they could.

The other aspect which probably isn't stressed enough is how much Russian doctrine in Syria/Chechnya/Azerbejian etc was able to depend on a level initiative achievable because their opponents didn't have much tactical intelligence capability against them. The Ukrainians apparently are being supplied by the West with the kind of tactical intelligence on Russian maneuver that denies them any kind of battlefield initiative advantage. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think we underestimate the level of understanding in the Russian public. Most Russians have lived most of their lives under a repressive propagandist regime. The compartmentalization of what is 'understood' in public vs what is understood 'around the kitchen table' as they say, is complete. I think the bigger problem is not that the Russian public doesn't understand enough about the fact the what the regime says is FOS - if nothing else the disappearance of virtually all independent media is a clue that doesn't take long to lead one to the conclusion that something pretty big is being hidden - plus the shear volume of one on one family and business communication from Russia to Ukraine makes it impossible for reality not to seep in(out?). I think the bigger problem is that the public political culture has been pretty much ground into submission by literally a thousand years of this. They lack less the knowledge that could lead to action than a level of political hope that anything they do can make a difference -- or is worth risk of bringing the wrath of state down upon them. 

Understood, all good points.

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the level of support from Europe and the US is certainly a key determinant and what it will be is largely still unknown. It's not hard to imagine the US/Euros pulling back from the possibility of Ukraine actually dealing the Russians an outright territorial defeat -despite what is turning into a non-zero possibility they could.

If the EU/NATO didn't have the Baltics or Poland or other former Warsaw pact states, I'd be more inclined to agree. But they do, and as such there are internal costs that come with pulling back as well.

Tend to believe this is underrated when people speculate on whether there will be a pullback or when/if the west will thaw relations with Russia. 

Edited by mtutiger

9 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

It's been awhile...

My knowledge mostly comes from Bald and Bankrupt and the books I read in grad school.  I can't travel there now for reasons.

Impression:  besides the glittering cities and the nice dachas of the elites, the average Russian has a life not too different than they did 40 years ago save for the availability of cars and a bit more variety in food.

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

What is the practical meaning of this? Is it just paperwork?

Much of this is just the effect of stripping away the bullshit strata laid down by the last 10 years of Putin propaganda that this is a war against Nazis.  Necessary for other actions.  Such as the international criminal court punishments of the regime war criminals.

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Much of this is just the effect of stripping away the bullshit strata laid down by the last 10 years of Putin propaganda that this is a war against Nazis.  Necessary for other actions.  Such as the international criminal court punishments of the regime war criminals.

Call me cynical but I don't think anybody is going to really pay for this.  We won't have a Nuremberg.

This is going to drag out for a few years and eventually in the US it will be overtaken by the 2024 POTUS race.  It'll just be another one of those "over there" things.  

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

Call me cynical but I don't think anybody is going to really pay for this.  We won't have a Nuremberg.

This is going to drag out for a few years and eventually in the US it will be overtaken by the 2024 POTUS race.  It'll just be another one of those "over there" things.  

The existence of this thread is based on the exact opposite impulse. 

It has been proven that anti-vax disinformation has dropped off precipitously since the war, because the russian bot farms are underpaid and occupied with fighting their propaganda war on Ukraine.

14 minutes ago, romad1 said:

The existence of this thread is based on the exact opposite impulse. 

It has been proven that anti-vax disinformation has dropped off precipitously since the war, because the russian bot farms are underpaid and occupied with fighting their propaganda war on Ukraine.

I sincerely hope and pray you are right and I am wrong because it means lives will be saved and people will be punished.