Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

that human rights council in the UN has always been a joke.   It's been a while but it was used by conservatives in on this board years and years ago (honestly prolly well before ROMAD joined the board) to trash the UN.   For those of us that want to have faith in multi-national institutions it was a difficult argument to counter.   Like they'd have Syria on the leadership of the council and they just chemical'd their own people.  

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Even kindly old Judy Woodruff was getting tough on your UN ambassador a few nights ago, asking what significance there would be to removing Russia from the human rights council.  

Ratchet it up.  Keep ratcheting it up.  Document everything.

We knew this, right?

so, when Shitbird Matt Gaetz (between soliciting underaged girls) says Austin was guilty of saying Ukraine would fall in 30 days doesn't acknowledge that our intel was critical to it not falling...just dump a bucket of shit on his goddamn shit head.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I can't decide whether to believe they are paid operatives or merely useful idiots.

The votes are coming in with such different groupings of the shitbirds that you have to wonder what motivates the changes.  It’s like when you are the dog track and you bet on the dog that just took a crap.  Was that what motivates the dog to run faster?

from WaPo. Europe getting serious about Russian influencers...

Bye-Bye Ivan

In the international game of spy vs. spy, Europe has dealt Russia a potentially crippling blow.

Nearly two dozen European countries have expelled hundreds of Russian government personnel from embassies and consulates since Russia invaded Ukraine in late February......A significant number are probably spies posing as diplomats, according to U.S. and European officials.

Russia depends on those operatives to gather intelligence inside the countries where they serve, ....

“The intelligence war with Russia is at full swing,” said Marc Polymeropoulos, a retired CIA officer who oversaw the agency’s clandestine operations in Europe and Russia. “This … will prove to be a significant dent in Russian intelligence operations in Europe.” Officials said it appeared to be the largest ever coordinated expulsion of diplomats from Europe.

“Europe has always been the Russians’ playground. They have wreaked havoc with election interference and assassinations. This is a long overdue step,” Polymeropoulos said.

In the past six weeks, European officials have asked nearly 400 Russian diplomats to leave their postings, ...

Edited by gehringer_2

David Ignatius points outs in his column today that because the West anticipated big Russian territorial victories, the weapons they sent to Ukraine were primarily those of use to a dispersed force. Now they will need (and should be getting) the heavy weapons needed to go toe-to-toe in the East. As bad as this has been it's probably going to get a lot louder.

Just re-watched Zelenskyy's remarks to the UN from a couple of days ago, so impressive.  Calling  them out for being so ineffective, suggesting that the Security Council be dissolved.

He is the strongest leader on the planet right now, and it isn't even close.  Some people have commented on the similarities to Churchill, and there certainly are some - he is that uniquely gifted person who was in the position at a time when the world needed it most.  But the differences are stark - Churchill had craved such a role for his entire life, Zelenskyy would never have asked for it.

I'm watching Kira Rudik right now, she is a member of the legislature in Ukraine.  She is on a panel on a France 24 current events program, and is forcefully demanding more weapons especially surface to air.  Another very, very passionate advocate for Ukraine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Watching video from Trostyanets now, and I had not heard this before - indignity to human remains.  Fighting-age men with their hands tied behind their backs, executed gangland-style, pants pulled down, with human excrement on their remains.

Putin did not do that.  Individual Russians did that.

I find myself more and more thinking that it is time for NATO to step up its game.

7 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I find myself more and more thinking that it is time for NATO to step up its game.

I have thought the same thing recently. These people are fighting for survival with every resource they have. Is the West willing to allow Russia to take Ukraine while the world watches the slaughter of innocents? Putin doesn’t care about his own people. Sanctions don’t move the needle with him. He’s not going to suffer. 

I think more people are going to start pushing for more intervention as we see what happens in these areas that Russia occupied for the couple months or so.   It sounds like they're just as bad if not worse than what's already been documented.

31 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I am wondering if Putin is still a nuclear threat.  40 days ago, he was.  But if the order to launch were to be given today, would it be carried out?

My understanding is that the Russian people are overwhelmingly in favor of the special military operation to denazify Ukraine, or whatever it is they're calling it. If their media can convince them that Бог is on their side in this, they can probably be convinced that they can come out of a nuclear exchange unscathed and victorious.