Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

US Gov seemed to be playing this one very circumspectly all day. Which is fine, you don't need to shout when the facts are already doing it for you.  :classic_biggrin:

We doubtless gave them the information.  We doubtless know from our sensors what happened to the ship.  Russia deserves every bit of it. 

17 hours ago, romad1 said:

As admirable as Zelensky has been.  He is not the leader of the free world.  

I think what Zelenskyy has done to rally his country to war against the bully next door has been nothing short of amazing. And you can understand his frustration at Russia not being stopped militarily by NATO from pummeling Ukraine and those unfortunate citizens unable to get to a train going west.

I’m with you, though: had Biden not stepped up and led the Western allies to arm Ukraine, Kyiv and Zelenskyy might both be a soldering pile of rubble right now.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think what Zelenskyy has done to rally his country to war against the bully next door has been nothing short of amazing. And you can understand his frustration at Russia not being stopped militarily by NATO from pummeling Ukraine and those unfortunate citizens unable to get to a train going west.

I’m with you, though: had Biden not stepped up and led the Western allies to arm Ukraine, Kyiv and Zelenskyy might both be a soldering pile of rubble right now.

Both were unlikely choices at the beginning of 2022.  Biden's chief virtue was not being Trump and Zelensky was a well-meaning fool.  Biden is still an elderly man with malapropisms to match but a giant heart and a clear eye as to what bullys are and how they need to be addressed.   And served by some very talented advisors.  

Zelensky has become a symbol of fortitude.  As much owing its traditions to the Warsaw ghetto uprising and the birth struggles of Israel as to Ukraine's long history of resentments as a slave to Russia.   

Edited by romad1

4 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Both were unlikely choices at the beginning of 2022.  Biden's chief virtue was not being Trump and Zelensky was a well-meaning fool.  Biden is still an elderly man with malapropisms to match but a giant heart and a clear eye as to what bullys are and how they need to be addressed.   And served by some very talented advisors.  

Zelensky has become a symbol of fortitude.  As much owing its traditions to the Warsaw ghetto uprising and the birth struggles of Israel as to Ukraine's long history of resentments as a slave to Russia.   

When you say Zelenskyy was a well-meaning fool, do you mean he was an actual fool, all unserious, or do you mean he was merely perceived as a fool and then showed everyone his true mettle?

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

they'd be better off going budget and just hiring Velma instead of the entire crew at Mystery Incorporated.  Honestly the rest of the crew just strike me as stoner losers that just basically exist so the team can split up while Velma solves the crime.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

They've turned to China in a big way.  Lets see how that works out for them.  

TBF, Khan did as a play on his anti-Americanism. Not as clear to me there is much potential for deeper affinity between China and Pakistan. From the Chinese side Pakistan is basically a religiously based country that is sympathetic to Islamic evangelism and that is anathema to China. OTOH, the middle classes in Pakistan have a strongly Western world view.

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

TBF, Khan did as a play on his anti-Americanism. Not as clear to me there is much potential for deeper affinity between China and Pakistan. From the Chinese side Pakistan is basically a religiously based country that is sympathetic to Islamic evangelism and that is anathema to China. OTOH, the middle classes in Pakistan have a strongly Western world view.

whatever is hostile to India is good for the Pakistani military.   

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

right - that too. Then again, if Pakistan did move East, would that move India move West?  Might be the better end of the bargain!

The quad with Australia, India, Japan and the United States is an anti-China alliance.