Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

so I did a little more detailed visual survey of the 'refinery' site and environs via google earth. It does not appear to be what we would call a 'refinery' in the US. It appears to be a fuel blending facility or pipeline terminus for rail loading. It's primarily tankage  and a couple of rail loading sidings to handle a couple of dozen rail tankcars at least. There are buildings that could conceivably hold processing facilities, but I see no process furnace stacks or cooling facilities anywhere on the site, which says the only way it can be a processing  facility is if all the cooling is done with water from the nearby river - certainly possible - and they only run extremely clean power units - and how likely is that in Russia? The building are more likely for drum or truck packaging/ blending etc or other non-energy intensive operations.

Interesting.  I appreciate the expert set of eyes. 

I think this was edited down from a longer program so it seems to jump topics a bit at some points, but an interesting 23 miin semi-lecture with Peter Ziehan. It's a youtube but it's mostly a podcast - the video is just a few slides. Educational, economic and political background/trends on the current state of Russia and some explanations about their current desperation level and poor future prospects.

https://youtu.be/UwPMtmuuVNw

Ziehan was a Stratfor guy.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

So, having listened to the exchange, this is a lot about nothing. It’s politics. Paul trying to rattle Blinken and Blinken staying cool, politics. Grandstanding. Happens all the time in Washington. The responses through this tweet by others attempt to imply that Paul was defending Russia. Unless there is more to this conversation and exchange than is presented here, that’s not the case. Why does everything have to end up in a ‘one-up’ or gotcha exhibit…

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

So, having listened to the exchange, this is a lot about nothing. It’s politics. Paul trying to rattle Blinken and Blinken staying cool, politics. Grandstanding. Happens all the time in Washington. The responses through this tweet by others attempt to imply that Paul was defending Russia. Unless there is more to this conversation and exchange than is presented here, that’s not the case. Why does everything have to end up in a ‘one-up’ or gotcha exhibit…

Ask Rand Paul. He’s the one who made a ridiculous statement to our Secretary of State in reference to Russia. Paul is Putins puppet.  

Look I know OJ killed Nicole but she used to be married to him.  You can defend that if you wish. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I get that ... but grandstanding by even looking like you might be on Russia's side against America just ain't a good look.

Not that Senator Pube-Head knows much of anything about looking good ... 😏

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

I’m going to break into my old house later tonight since it used to be mine. 

I can reclaim the old family homestead that was taken over by the coal company 100 years or so ago. Technically I am the oldest surviving member and should be heir, 

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

I can reclaim the old family homestead that was taken over by the coal company 100 years or so ago. Technically I am the oldest surviving member and should be heir, 

Well I mean if anyone complains it’s just grandstanding so we can ignore it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I get that ... but grandstanding by even looking like you might be on Russia's side against America just ain't a good look.

Not that Senator Pube-Head knows much of anything about looking good ... 😏

Paul didn’t need to say what he did. It was uncalled for. He wanted some attention and here we are. 😕

But, as I stated earlier, it is pure politics. All high profile hearings bring out the worst on either side. Showtime! However, these little side shows draw the biggest responses. They should be ignored for what they are. There is no substance to the whole back and forth between he and Blinken. I liked Blinken’s response to the distraction.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Paul didn’t need to say what he did. It was uncalled for. He wanted some attention and here we are. 😕

But, as I stated earlier, it is pure politics. All high profile hearings bring out the worst on either side. Showtime! However, these little side shows draw the biggest responses. They should be ignored for what they are. There is no substance to the whole back and forth between he and Blinken. I liked Blinken’s response to the distraction.

Why should we ignore a politician saying something both stupid and in line with appeasement to genocide?  Those are words you don’t ignore. I think he means it. 

On 4/24/2022 at 11:06 PM, romad1 said:

the Navalny documentary was very interesting.  

The prank call to the FSB guy could have been written by LeCarre - heII - it WAS written by LeCarre 40 yrs ago..  What apparatchik can help himself when faced with an official who has a report to write! Damn shame he didn't live to see how well life imitated his art.