Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

26 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Saw a commercial today for the "Coalition for Sanity" which blamed every ill in America on Biden sending money to Ukraine.   Give me strength.

They've been all over the playoffs. The two spots I saw in last night's game, one targeted Latino with a Latin-American-accented narrator, and one targeted black people with a black-accented narrator. Looks obviously pandering to us, although many in the target audience may not see it that way.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

They've been all over the playoffs. The two spots I saw in last night's game, one targeted Latino with a Latin-American-accented narrator, and one targeted black people with a black-accented narrator. Looks obviously pandering to us, although many in the target audience may not see it that way.

If Putin gets his way, then the United States doesn't matter.  The Rule of Law doesn't matter.  Genocide can happen at will. 

I don't have any hope of Xi being on the side of the Angels, but he can at least not be on the side of crazy. Progress - I think.

TAIPEI — Chinese leader Xi Jinping made his most direct criticism yet of Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine on Friday, warning the Russian president not to resort to nuclear weapons and calling on visiting German Chancellor Olaf Scholz to push for peace talks.

Xi’s warning comes just over a month after Putin threatened Ukraine with a nuclear attack, a sign of how far Ukrainian forces had rocked the Kremlin with their advances against invaders in the East.

The international community, said Xi, should “jointly oppose the use of, or threats to use, nuclear weapons,” according to a statement carried by Xinhua, China’s state news agency. The world should also “advocate that nuclear weapons cannot be used, a nuclear war cannot be waged, in order to prevent a nuclear crisis” in Europe or Asia, Xi added. 

Edited by gehringer_2

On 11/3/2022 at 8:50 PM, 1984Echoes said:

Republicans can go F themselves.

The lunatics have so taken over that asylum.   I saw a tweet earlier today reckoning on what would happen if Jeb Bush had Will Smithed Trump for attacking his mother at the debate.  The course of history might have changed if he had.

Maybe it's just me...

But the $300 billion in frozen Russian cash in western banks/ financial institutions... and after selling off all the seized oligarchic assets for whatever amount of $'s we can get... 

I'm just HANDING that over to Ukraine as War Reparations so they can rebuild their country.

Putin and his cronies can all just weep into their vodka shots for all I care...

Salt Water Wodka... hope they like the taste of it...

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Maybe it's just me...

But the $300 billion in frozen Russian cash in western banks/ financial institutions... and after selling off all the seized oligarchic assets for whatever amount of $'s we can get... 

I'm just HANDING that over to Ukraine as War Reparations so they can rebuild their country.

Putin and his cronies can all just weep into their vodka shots for all I care...

Salt Water Wodka... hope they like the taste of it...

sounds good

33 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Kherson is being evacuated for real.  A move Russia was delaying for a reason...wonder what that was. 

To strip Kherson of anything and everything valuable. Including forcing every resident it could, by gunpoint, to cross the river onto Russian held territory (knowing they were going to give up Kherson City). 

They stripped every piece of equipment, artwork, metal, inventory, Ukrainian citizen that they could out of there.

The Russian Nazi's Rape of Ukraine continues...

37 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

To strip Kherson of anything and everything valuable. Including forcing every resident it could, by gunpoint, to cross the river onto Russian held territory (knowing they were going to give up Kherson City). 

They stripped every piece of equipment, artwork, metal, inventory, Ukrainian citizen that they could out of there.

The Russian Nazi's Rape of Ukraine continues...

You might be missing the significance of last night on this

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

You might be missing the significance of last night on this

I don't think Republicans winning or losing has anything to do with the current battlefield reality.

Russia started pulling out of Kherson three weeks ago and every day since. Well before anyone would have any idea how last night would go. In fact, they removed Russian flags from Kherson three days ago. That was more telling than anything from last night.

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't think Republicans winning or losing has anything to do with the current battlefield reality.

Russia started pulling out of Kherson three weeks ago and every day since. Well before anyone would have any idea how last night would go. In fact, they removed Russian flags from Kherson three days ago. That was more telling than anything from last night.

I won’t stamp my foot but …

18 hours ago, romad1 said:

I won’t stamp my foot but …

Sure, fine...

You are technically correct that they timed it to try to damage Biden's/ Dem's mid-term election chances... if that's what you might want to stamp a foot down for...

But I maintain that their timing is essentially meaningless... at least compared to needing the past few weeks to strip Kherson of anything valuable, including its people... and that timing this against Dems in the election and after some Republican's stupid anti-Ukrainian commentary is basically a non-factor. It had zero effect on the election. Everyone could see that this was going to happen regardless of their timing on any "announcement". And their typical "performance theatre" over this issue/ announcement was as much for their domestic audience, to cover Putin's ass, as for anyone else...

Just my 2 cents...

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Sure, fine...

You are technically correct that they timed it to try to damage Biden's/ Dem's mid-term election chances... if that's what you might want to stamp a foot down for...

But I maintain that their timing is essentially meaningless... at least compared to needing the past few weeks to strip Kherson of anything valuable, including its people... and that timing this against Dems in the election and after some Republican's stupid anti-Ukrainian commentary is basically a non-factor. It had zero effect on the election. Everyone could see that this was going to happen regardless of their timing on any "announcement". And their typical "performance theatre" over this issue/ announcement was as much for their domestic audience, to cover Putin's ass, as for anyone else...

Just my 2 cents...

the biggest risk for the Russians is that 'withdrawal' turns into 'rout' so while political considerations always play, they did/do have a need to try to proceed in an orderly manner. Then the question becomes how much advantage will the Ukrainians take of their opporunities to cut the Russians to pieces at the inevitable choke points? They certainly have every right to go full bore. but political considerations play there as well. The comfortable West who are happy to support Ukraine on defensive actions many not like the Ukrainians being beastly to those 'poor Russian boys' trying to flee, even if the reality we all know is that Putin is only letting them flee to try and use them again later.