Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

6 hours ago, mtutiger said:

After all of this, It really was never about NATO membership... he's just mad that the USSR collapsed and many of the Republics went their own separate way. 

What a small, small man.

If we are going to re-adjudicate every national boundary since Lenin the world is in even bigger trouble. If Putin really wants to go that route maybe Japan should reclaim all its one time Asian holdings.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If we are going to re-adjudicate every national boundary since Lenin the world is in even bigger trouble. If Putin really wants to go that route maybe Japan should reclaim all its one time Asian holdings.

Germany and Poland would like a word about Kaliningrad as well. 

the weird thing is that Putin is basically saying no-one had it right but the Romanovs. Lenin was a sloppy fool so we reject the Bolsheviks take on history, Gorbachev gave away the store so we reject the Glasnost history. Is there really that much nostalgia in Russia for Monarchy and serfdom that it can be good PR to basically plant your flag on returning the country to Tsarism?

And of course if you want to talk history, it's only natural Ukraine should have such brotherly affection for Mother Russia after Stalin thought starving most of the population would be just the thing to cement Russo-Ukrainian Slavic unity.

Edited by gehringer_2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10536311/Biden-phones-Zelensky-gathers-National-Security-team-Putin-speech.html

Biden's first sanctions prohibit business with those two States that Russia has moved into.  More apparently expected tomorrow, but the line I don't like is this:

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said more measures will be taken if Russia further invades Ukraine.

I hope that's a mistake and not the thinking of this administration.  Putin remembers Obama's red line in Syria.  He chose to cross it, the penalties should be just as severe as if he took the whole country.  Might be the only chance to prevent him from taking it all if we do in fact hold him to our word.

48 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Me thinks the timing of these trucker protests happening right when Putin invades Ukraine is no coincidence. 

it's a testament to operant conditioning that their viewers can still watch Fox without their brain exploding.

Actually the story is false anyway, all they are doing in Donbas is putting their regular uni's back on.

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

the weird thing is that Putin is basically saying no-one had it right but the Romanovs. Lenin was a sloppy fool so we reject the Bolsheviks take on history, Gorbachev gave away the store so we reject the Glasnost history. Is there really that much nostalgia in Russia for Monarchy and serfdom that it can be good PR to basically plant your flag on returning the country to Tsarism?

Within Russia itself, I don't know. But it doesn't surprise me coming from Putin... Steven Lee Meyers (of the NYT) wrote a book about him a few years back that really emphasized that Tsarism was more his north star than the Soviet years

Edited by mtutiger

Lets allow Ukraine to base its planes in Polish territory and support the war from there.   Imagine how frustrated that would make Vladdie.   It would be just like the Korean War, Vietnam War and Afghanistan where there was a no-go sanctuary for the superpower's foe.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The reactions from the right about how Trump would handle this are something else...

The guy literally blackmailed Ukraine with weapons they need for defense. That tells me everything I need to know about how Trump would handle this.

rand paul woulda crushed it as president right now