Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

This whole thing has given me an impending sense of doom... here we are looking like we're coming out of COVID and now we might have WWIII?  Even if this is just contained "over there" it's going to disrupt things everywhere.  

How do you declare war when Russia is involved on the other side and not fear nuclear options?  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

This whole thing has given me an impending sense of doom... here we are looking like we're coming out of COVID and now we might have WWIII?  Even if this is just contained "over there" it's going to disrupt things everywhere.  

How do you declare war when Russia is involved on the other side and not fear nuclear options?  

Declare war?

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I don't see the US declaring war. 

But aside from just letting Putin do whatever the hell he wants, I don't see many other alternatives to severe sanctions. Particularly given that the behavior is habitual and recidivist at this point. And particularly when he's openly musing about reconstituting the Russia of old.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Putin knows exactly what he is doing. Him recognizing two breakaway regions in eastern Ukraine and taking them. This will look as a concession because it was not a full invasion. They will whether the sanctions and in the end declare victory. 

I suspect this is exactly what Putin is hoping for.  He gets a little bit more of Ukraine, sanctions aren't that bad, and my guess is he's hoping when everything dies down, Nord gets started back up.

3 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I suspect this is exactly what Putin is hoping for.  He gets a little bit more of Ukraine, sanctions aren't that bad, and my guess is he's hoping when everything dies down, Nord gets started back up.

which is exactly what will happen.  the germans need energy and the russians will provide it.

eventually a russian friendly leader will be back in charge of ukraine. 

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

which is exactly what will happen.  the germans need energy and the russians will provide it.

eventually a russian friendly leader will be back in charge of ukraine. 

I don't doubt there are a lot of moral cowards who would jump at this market friendly way of approaching things.  It would have been "smart" to let dictators run things because they always have such a clear perspective on what should be done to get the railroads to run on time.  People be damned.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mtutiger said:

The reactions from the right about how Trump would handle this are something else...

The guy literally blackmailed Ukraine with weapons they need for defense. That tells me everything I need to know about how Trump would handle this.

Did they argue he'd compliment putin?

22 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I would think that Ukraine would field a large army.  Air power is the issue.  Give them lendlease F-22 support. 

Yeah, I think we may be just a tad dismissive of Ukraine's willingness to fight this out. Particularly given that, if anything, views of Russia have declined over the past eight years.

Russia has the resources to win out, of course... but I dont know, I dont see a country where close to 70% of the population harboring negative attitudes toward Russia just accepting subjugation 

Edited by mtutiger

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

What I don’t get is what does Vlad think will happen?  Is he naive and thinks everyone just rolls over? Didn’t he know sanctions would come? 

sanctions will come and then go.

russia is exerting their power over a former client state.  russia was weak and the us and its alliea expanded their military into formerly russian controlled territory, right to the borders of russia.  russia is now pushing back because they arent as weak anymore.  tale as old as time.