Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

15 hours ago, romad1 said:

Impressions of media in NATO land:  The public is leading on the revulsion at Russia.   News on French, British, Belgian, German and Dutch TV was very hostile to Russia/Putin.

Not surprising since they are on the front lines in Europe. Americans have always engaged in the hubris of believing we are beyond real danger due to the oceans that separate us.

41 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I think Ukrainian supporters would like to see the same leverage applied on Taurus and ATACMS as happened with the Abrams and the Leopards: i.e. Germany signals they want to wait for the US to approve ATACMS to send Taurus. That increases pressure on the US whereas as straight out German approval would decrease pressure on the US.

Edited by gehringer_2

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Possible. Radiation is more closely associated with leukemia and myeloma, but if he believes it's karma, that's all that matters.

Pretty much every man on this planet will get some form of prostate cancer on a long enough timeline.  

We heard some kind of fast fighter aircraft fly over earlier in the day - like as not that one. Pilots bailed into the lake and were fished out. The MIG found the parking lot of an apartment. Just think, we may get a Farmer's Insurance commercial about the claim for a pickup truck taken out by a MIG.

Apparently crashes happened somewhat often at airshow, I was surprised to hear that.

That airshow out of Willow Run is so awesome.    We went and hung out in a parking lot last year for a few hours for the blue angels and it was such a great experience.    We decided then we were going to try to officially attend in upcoming years but did not this year because wife was out of town.   

I hope this doesn't impact whether the show goes on but if this is relatively common it may be prudent.

52 minutes ago, pfife said:

Apparently crashes happened somewhat often at airshow, I was surprised to hear that.

That airshow out of Willow Run is so awesome.    We went and hung out in a parking lot last year for a few hours for the blue angels and it was such a great experience.    We decided then we were going to try to officially attend in upcoming years but did not this year because wife was out of town.   

I hope this doesn't impact whether the show goes on but if this is relatively common it may be prudent.

Nothing more I enjoy on a sunny afternoon (OK, maybe a Tigers game) then watching an air show. Growing up in Battle Creek 4th of July weekend Thunderbirds were the best.

12 hours ago, romad1 said:

Probably the most messed up day of my young life was the Ramstein Flugtag disaster.

Aerobatics in bleeding edge technology platforms moving at 1000 ft/sec in the vicinity of large numbers spectators is one of those things that if you thought about in a vacuum, you might doubt actually happens, then you'd realize you knew better. 

Have been to one. It was spectacular but the heat was almost fatal (NAS Miramar, when it was still that)

Edited by gehringer_2

22 minutes ago, pfife said:

Did they borrow planes from America?

Lol there was an occasional appearance from a P51 or something similar.  The emphasis was always on WW2 planes including the local Lancaster bomber, one of the only 2 left in the world.  It still flies over my house a couple of times a year.

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I've watched my share of the Chicago Air and Water Show. Also a few of the airshows at NAS Oceania. Still nothing compares to just driving along and seeing a couple of jets heading out for maneuvers as you cruise to lunch

Virginia Beach and the Langley area are amazing for the jets beating up the sky.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Lol there was an occasional appearance from a P51 or something similar.  The emphasis was always on WW2 planes including the local Lancaster bomber, one of the only 2 left in the world.  It still flies over my house a couple of times a year.

I would love to see a Mosquito.  That is one of my WWII airplane crushes.  

• Like 1