Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

14 hours ago, romad1 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_surviving_de_Havilland_Mosquitos

looks like a couple airworthy ones exist in North America but you can count them on one hand. 

Here is a list of what we have in Hamilton, sadly no Mosquito, but a pretty impressive list and they all fly, with possibly one exception:

https://www.warplane.com/aircraft/collection.aspx

9 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Here is a list of what we have in Hamilton, sadly no Mosquito, but a pretty impressive list and they all fly, with possibly one exception:

https://www.warplane.com/aircraft/collection.aspx

That is an impressive set of aircraft.    I might go out of my way to see a Lancaster and the Vampire.   I recall that one was sort of a spectacular failure but that might be another aircraft I'm thinking about.  Still, its so unusual looking.  

I was always a big fan of the B-25 in the ship/ground attack mode that was so extremely successful for the 5th AF in the Pacific. 

Edited by romad1

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

That is an impressive set of aircraft.    I might go out of my way to see a Lancaster and the Vampire.   I recall that one was sort of a spectacular failure but that might be another aircraft I'm thinking about.  Still, its so unusual looking.  

I was always a big fan of the B-25 in the ship/ground attack mode that was so extremely successful for the 5th AF in the Pacific. 

So a tidbit that ties old warbirds and current movies; The procurement costs for the B29 were about 50% greater than for the Manhattan project.

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So a tidbit that ties old warbirds and current movies; The procurement costs for the B29 were about 50% greater than for the Manhattan project.

Compare the B-29 to the technology of the 1930s - - pressurized cabin, radar directed machine gun turrets, the altitude and speed it could fly.   Ironically that the best results over Japanese cities were in firebombing at low-level and area attacks and not in the precision attacks which were -- (i am making an assertion here based on my own research) extremely effective in Europe.   

Japan itself proved extremely challenging to high-level aviation due to the bizonkers jet stream over the islands.  NE Asia has a very strange climate. 

Edited by romad1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

Hearing the Lancaster is almost as memorable as seeing it.

Seeing ejections makes me think of Neil Armstrong in the Lunar Landing Training vehicle.  Stuck thrusters or something.  Note the ejection path.  He was about a second from being at the wrong angle. He got a busted lip.  Typical of him he got dressed and went back to his office to do paperwork to startled colleagues after they heard what happened.   Just another day at the office for this unassuming legend.

Another Apollo astro, Ted Freeman, who never flew in space, was the first fatality in the program.  His T-38 ran into some geese and and got sucked into the intake and the engine flamed out.  He tried to land and had to bank to avoid houses and ejected almost horizontally.  Chute never got a chance to deploy. 

On 8/14/2023 at 12:04 PM, CMRivdogs said:

I've watched my share of the Chicago Air and Water Show. Also a few of the airshows at NAS Oceania. Still nothing compares to just driving along and seeing a couple of jets heading out for maneuvers as you cruise to lunch

Air and Water Show starts today. I’m close enough to the lake so that planes routinely buzz the house. For three days a year, it is super cool.

59 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Air and Water Show starts today. I’m close enough to the lake so that planes routinely buzz the house. For three days a year, it is super cool.

The last 2 years we lived there we had an apartment in the building catty corner from Holy Name. 48th floor, lake view. The building had just opened when we moved in. It was great for the Water Show. The view probably not so great 20 years plus later because of the new construction in the area. We definitely can't afford the current rent, either.