Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

4 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Romad, looking for an opinion, do you think Kim believes his troops would help and that they will be protected by the Russian army?  Just wondering if Kim actually thinks they will return and he can tout that as a triumph or if he knows he's sending them to slaughter but it's worth it to get closer to Russia.

the payoff is strategic missile technology.  He wants to be able to take out Washington, DC. 

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

the payoff is strategic missile technology.  He wants to be able to take out Washington, DC. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like Russia would have problems with China if they gave them a big boost there.

7 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like Russia would have problems with China if they gave them a big boost there.

Nixon played the divide between the PRC and Soviet Union very well.  The situation is fundamentally different now.  Russia is so much weaker and under sanctions.  China might want a general war with NK and SK to divert US attention in a Taiwan invasion scenario. 

To take a less US centric view, I think you also have to credit that Kim is trying to use Russia as leverage against pressure he gets from China. China may find NK a useful client, but they don't like loose cannons either, they want him under their control. So Kim gets a freer hand if he can play two sponsors off against one another. And for us, any potential friction between Russia and China over their respective NK policies would not be a bad thing.

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

To take a less US centric view, I think you also have to credit that Kim is trying to use Russia as leverage against pressure he gets from China. China may find NK a useful client, but they don't like loose cannons either, they want him under their control. So Kim gets a freer hand if he can play two sponsors off against one another. And for us, any potential friction between Russia and China over their respective NK policies would not be a bad thing.

bottom line:  Fidelity Space and Defense Fund hasn't gone up as much as I would have expected with the 2022-2024 war and the expansion of defense industries World-wide.

• 2 weeks later...