Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

1914 or, especially, 1939.  

It certainly complicated by what breed of 'state' S. Vietnam was, but we certainly came to their  aid in the context of the North trying to conquer them (or France's depending on how you take the history) MB notes Kuwait. We took a long time getting to it, but we did enter WWI without being attacked directly - Lusitania not withstanding. WWII would not count as we sat until we were attacked ourselves. There were a lot of Americans flying in SE Asia before Pearl Harbor, but it wasn't official.

12 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Right, but the Ottoman Empire was basically Turkey and all the surrounding territory that it controlled.

I don't think you can get around that with a technicality...

It's not a technicality in that Ataturk founded Turkey on the the rejection of traditional quasi-religious Ottoman Sultanate/Caliphate and the early forms of Muslim pan nationalism that fed the religious pogroms. A lot has changed in Turkey on that point in recent years, and not for the better, but that is also part of the complexity.  

Of course the Turks and the Armenians still hate each other and that is as old as Islam itself.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

It certainly complicated by what breed of 'state' S. Vietnam was, but we certainly came to their  aid in the context of the North trying to conquer them (or France's depending on how you take the history) MB notes Kuwait. We took a long time getting to it, but we did enter WWI without being attacked directly - Lusitania not withstanding. WWII would not count as we sat until we were attacked ourselves. There were a lot of Americans flying in SE Asia before Pearl Harbor, but it wasn't official.

I wouldn't count Vietnam, which I think was more about stepping in when the French quit in order to resist the spread of communism throughout SE Asia per the domino theory.  I don't think it had anything to do with defending those friends the South Vietnamese.  I might have to give you Kuwait, although clearly that was about oil and not coming to the defense of the poor Kuwaitis but nevertheless.

I am rusty about WW1 but wasn't there a communication between Germany and Mexico which could be interpreted as a direct threat to the US?

You are correct about individual Americans going to Canada and the UK to join up at the start of WW2.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Awful, The world is seeing just how evil Putin is…

I have a handful of acquaintances (both on the left and right) who have made excuses or been fans of Putin over the years. Just seeing what they have posted on Facebook at times.

I wonder if any of this is opening their eyes... or (gulp) if this is just part of the appeal

Edited by mtutiger

18 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I am rusty about WW1 but wasn't there a communication between Germany and Mexico which could be interpreted as a direct threat to the US

Romad and Buddha are the history mavens, most I can say I know about WW1 is that there was a big deal made about having to defend freedom of navigation after a U-Boat torpedoed the Lusitania. Of course the Germans claimed Cunnard was ferrying war material. Just read a bit on the Zimmerman telegram - appears to have also have been a contributor. Of course it's a fool's errand trying to separate individual bits of motivation out from the totality of a decision like that. BTW -the family story is that Grandfather, who had enlisted because it was a chance to strike a blow against the Ottomans, was on a ship on the way over on 11/11/18, and thus got to step foot back in Europe only to get right back on the boat to the new world. :classic_laugh:

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Tulsi isn’t wrong, it could have made a difference.  Just as any one of us, if we just work hard, we could be billionaires soon.  It could happen.

If it was known Ukraine had no shot at NATO, and that was publicly stated, I do think that would have made it harder for China to turn its head like it has done.  Still that doesn’t mean anything actually changes though.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

BTW -the family story is that Grandfather, who had enlisted because it was a chance to strike a blow against the Ottomans, was on a ship on the way over on 11/11/18, and thus got to step foot back in Europe only to get right back on the boat to the new world. :classic_laugh:

Sounds like a nice trip!

My family story is that my great uncle was a stretcher bearer at the Somme.  Talk about stones!  Naturally he got hit, was sent to a hospital in London...and the Canadian army stopped his pay!  He was no longer on active service you see lol!

2 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Sounds like a nice trip!

My family story is that my great uncle was a stretcher bearer at the Somme.  Talk about stones!  Naturally he got hit, was sent to a hospital in London...and the Canadian army stopped his pay!  He was no longer on active service you see lol!

My Grandfather immigrated to the US in early 1900s from London where he was superfluous to needs for the family business of running a gambling hall.  Anyway...he gets here, goes through WWI hearing all about his English brothers fighting in the trenches and then signs up and heads to France where he arrives on Armistice Day -- very similar to G2's story.   So, the family story was that he signed up on Armistice Day. 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

And the Armenia that attacked Azerbaijan was allied with an evil regime in Putin.

I've never been interested enough to pursue the history myself, or verify any of these claims, but at least in the view of my family, the area around Yerevon, which is where the current nation of Armenia is, following from the Russian designation of its Soviet Republic, was not really that much the center of the Armenian culture of the Ottoman empire, which my family would have told you had been in Anatolia and Mediterranean Turkey. As far as my family saw it, those up in the Caucusus were the equivalent of Armenian Hillbillies....:classic_biggrin:

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Wouldn't they be trying to assassinate whoever gets installed?

If the goal isn't to take all of Ukraine for itself, but rather setup a puppet government like Belarus, my guess is that they are hoping this shock and awe campaign would keep the citizens at bay as they know if they overthrown the government, Russia might just walk right back in.

5 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

If the goal isn't to take all of Ukraine for itself, but rather setup a puppet government like Belarus, my guess is that they are hoping this shock and awe campaign would keep the citizens at bay as they know if they overthrown the government, Russia might just walk right back in.

That may be the hope, but it seems delusional 

27 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Wouldn't they be trying to assassinate whoever gets installed?

Oh I would think so.  I think that the closest historical parallel is the invasion of Crete by Germany in 1940, the first and possibly only successful invasion by paratroopers in history against a garrison of Brits and Anzacs, first class fighting men who were not well-led, and from whom Ultra intelligence was withheld. When the Fallschirmjagers landed on the ground they were astonished to find themselves being pitchforked by Cretan villagers, men and women, defending their home against invaders.  Just as they had done for centuries, against invaders like the Venetians and Romans and Turks.  It was just totally against the Germans' expectations of battlefield chivalry in which only uniformed combatants participated. 

That's what will happen in Ukraine.  First, the Ukrainian partisans will kill all of the collaborators and informers and sympathizers.  Then the ambushes and sabotage will be relentless.  And now here is the preamble to the key question:  will Putin order reprisals on the scale that Hitler did?  I think that he will.  So every time that a railroad is blown up a couple of local officials will be executed.  Every time that a Russian soldier is killed, 10 random locals will be shot.  For particularly egregious examples of resistance, an entire rural village will be entered, all of the men rounded up and shot, and all of the houses burned.  That's the Nazi playbook.  Will Putin follow it?  Yes, and not give it a second thought.  

But now the key question:  how will Russian soldiers feel about being ordered to commit those atrocities against Ukrainians, will they willingly comply?  I have my doubts about that.  The average Russian soldier isn't a KGB flunky from the 1980's, like Putin.  I don't think that shooting Ukrainian citizens who are bound and gagged is what they signed up for.  Perhaps some mutinies in occupied territory might stir some unrest at home.