Where Do Things End With Vlad? (h/t romad1)

chasfh

3 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Correct.  The "Kiev" spelling is outdated too, having been replaced by "Kyiv".

I don't think it's a big deal.  If a news story originates in Paris I don't expect an English speaking newsreader to say Pa-ree.

This.  Except if you deliberately adopt the language of the oppressors as part of some sort of affinity with the bastards

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So, “kih-yeev”?

I can hear that in my head being said out loud.

It's hard to say out loud because it is sounds that we are just not used to using in the English language.

Although I've been told by my Ukrainian and Russian friends that I no longer sound "American" when I speak my  - very limited - Russian. That I now sound, "almost", like a native Russian.

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I think Putin has an unlimited source of financing in Xi, based on their meeting in Beijing a couple of weeks ago.  Xi loves to lend people money, usually for infrastructure, so that when inevitably they can't service the debt he takes over the asset, for example the railroads that will make up the new Silk Road.  Also, China will step up and sell Putin all of the goods that western embargos are denying him (and lend him the money to buy them).  So I don't think that financing is an issue that Putin is worried about, or shortages.

Does Xi have unlimited resources?  No he doesn't.  But he doesn't care about the long-term consequences any more than Putin does.

If Putin hitches his wagon to Xi, he will find out soon enough that Xi's interest is purely transactional. Xi doesn't care about Putin or Russia, only what China can suck out of it on its own way to greater empire.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Anti-car at that moment. 😢

Just fucking horrific.

the "anti-car" vehicle is apparently Ukranian, according to the comments. someone suggested that that might happen if the car was suspected of carrying a (hostile) bomb. I didn't watch the entire video (and don't care to unless nothing worse happens after the car gets run over), though, so I dunno.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If Putin hitches his wagon to Xi, he will find out soon enough that Xi's interest is purely transactional. Xi doesn't care about Putin or Russia, only what China can suck out of it on its own way to greater empire.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Putin is buying Chinese support by giving away Siberian natural resources. And if Russia ruins its military strength by wasting it in Ukraine, there would be nothing much to stop China from then just coming in and taking it.

12 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

the "anti-car" vehicle is apparently Ukranian, according to the comments. someone suggested that that might happen if the car was suspected of carrying a (hostile) bomb. I didn't watch the entire video (and don't care to unless nothing worse happens after the car gets run over), though, so I dunno.

I could see an unvetted video commenter saying that.

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

there were a few. but yeah, agreed.

Not saying it's not possible. In the fog of early war, especially, anything is possible, and I'm sure we'll hear more about this, at least until an even more horrific video pops up.

But whether it was a Russian tank running over a Ukrainian civilian driver, or a Ukrainian tank heading off a Ukrainian quisling car bomb driver, we can both agree than had Russia not invaded Ukraine, this would not have happened.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

WHY IS JONATHAN LANDAY YELLING AT US!

But seriously, folks:

If ground forces lose so much momentum in taking Ukraine that they conclude the cost in time and lives would be too high to continue thusly, what do you think is the next logical step Russia would take? I have a guess ...

If ground forces lose so much momentum in taking Ukraine that they conclude the cost in time and lives would be too high to continue thusly, what do you think is the next logical step Russia would take? I have a guess ...

well, it is early. Didn't it take the US 20 days to take Baghdad?

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, romad1 said:

id-russia.pdf (fas.org)

Useful guide to Russian vehicles. 

That confirms that the vehicle that smashed the car was SA-13 (or derivations) family of AA missile launcher. 

A firefight and at the end is another view of the earlier event you posted.  Some are claiming it may have been an accident trying to avoid other things going on or even possibly an Ukrainian driver that lost control.  Regardless, if the Russians aren't invading, this doesn't happen, period.

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

WHY IS JONATHAN LANDAY YELLING AT US!

But seriously, folks:

We're talking Putin, so I fixed that for you.

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

A firefight and at the end is another view of the earlier event you posted.  Some are claiming it may have been an accident trying to avoid other things going on or even possibly an Ukrainian driver that lost control.  Regardless, if the Russians aren't invading, this doesn't happen, period.

The dutch angle reminded me of the Batman tv show